2009-07-04

Something To Think About

Not to bring everyone down from their BBQ burgers-cheap beer-fireworks high but... well, as we are all prone to doing, sometimes we forget the reason why we're celebrating certain days off. Yes, there IS another reason other than having a day off work and an excuse to get drunk, kids.

I don't feel the need to give everyone a history lesson tonight but rather to remind everyone that there are some people out there in the world still fighting for their country. As much as we may disagree with why they're fighting, it doesn't change the fact that they're out there each and every day putting their lives on the line for all of us back home.

I helped a young man in the store a few months ago who was home on leave for a couple of weeks before shipping off to Afghanistan. He had just finished with basic training and you could tell he was a bit nervous about his new assignment. After a lengthy sale, I mentioned that it must be more than a little unsettling to have that just around the corner. He agreed and after more conversation, he simply shrugged and said, "I may not like why I'm going to be there but I'd rather it be me over there so that good folks like yourself can be a little bit safer." In the end, I thanked him for his service and expressed my hope that I'd see him again in the store soon.

When I read this article today on Yahoo about the troops in Afghanistan, I couldn't help but think of that young man and his willingness to put his life on the line for someone like me.

Readers of this blog know that I'm not a religious man but for those of you out there that are, please include that young man and all the others mentioned and unmentioned in the article above in your thoughts and prayers.

Happy 4th of July to one and all!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please sign your comments so I can know who to make voodoo dolls of!