2009-07-30

We're Talkin' Baseball...

With the trade deadline coming up tomorrow, it seemed like a good time to run down some of the happenings on and off the diamond.

Dodgers beat Cards!  I knew this four game set was going to be a nightmare when I saw it on the schedule but I had no idea it'd be this bad.  Blown saves, extended rain delays, extra innings, shutouts.  Good grief, Charlie Brown.  Thankfully they managed to scrape out one win tonight but the pitching staff and offense have both managed to fall asleep at the same time.

Speaking of the pitching staff - the Dodgers made a deal today, sending out two minor leaguers for Orioles closer George Sherrill who is a pitcher I've seen described today as "death on left handed hitters."  The bullpen looks to be gaining some strength back with the return of Kuo and the addition of Sherrill.  It doesn't mean that Torre won't manage to overwork them in the two months left and make them useless but let's hope for the best.  I wouldn't be opposed to seeing another 'pen arm picked up if the price is right.

Still no starter added though which makes me nervous.  I'm fine with Bills, Kershaw, Kuroda, and Wolf.  I truly am.  Sure, I'd love a Cliff Lee or Halladay to lead the pack but I'm really fine without them.  I know, I know.  Everyone wants the Dodgers to have an "ace" but honestly, how many teams have a legit ace starter leading the way?  Besides if Bills is half of an ace and Kershaw is half of an ace... ?  Both of those guys have ace stuff and the potential to be an ace on any given night.  I think both are showing signs of fatigue though which worries me.  What I'd like to see though is one more back of the rotation guys.  Schmidt doesn't appear to be the answer.  Neither does Weaver [although he looks good every once in a while.]  James McDonald?  Scott Elbert?  Maybe.  But neither of them can get settled in that spot before they get yanked out of it.  Who is out there?  No clue.

In addition to all the trade deadline madness, of course there was the Manny story today.  I think I've lost the ability to care.  I officially have PED story fatigue.  I'm just going to assume that everyone from pre-2003 was probably taking something and deal with it.  I'm not sure there are any names left that could come out on that list that would surprise me.  Let's just deal with the people testing positive now and not worry about who tested positive six years ago.

I'll be home some of the day tomorrow so if the Dodgers manage to make any more moves, I might drop in with some comments.

In the meantime... go Blue!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please sign your comments so I can know who to make voodoo dolls of!