2007-08-02

Bored

So, I'm bored.

Yes, yes... what else is new, I know.

I'm a week removed from Day One of Comic-Con, my yearly half-week to indulge my inner geek and pretend the world revolves around Batman, the X-Men, and mostly what movies look sweet.

It also tends to be a source of great inspiration for me. A couple of years ago, I sat in on a panel where Brad Meltzer said that when he first starting writing, he made a commitment to himself to write at least an hour every day no matter what... no matter how tired, how hungry, how much he wanted to go out, whatever... an hour a day at minimum. I pledged on the spot to follow the same plan.

I'm pretty sure I lasted a day.

It's no secret that my career goal for several years has been to go back to school, get a teaching credential, and become a writer while teaching... yet I never seem able to get there. There's lots of easy targets to blame... getting old, too busy at work, don't want to look at a computer when I get home, wedding planning to do, blah blah blah.

Is this the year that I snap out of it?

The amount of people on panels this year who are probably just a few years removed from being where I am is astonishing. It truly does inspire someone to reach for the stars.

But those grounded feet always seem to get in the way.

Oh, side note... I also pledged to start using this as an entertainment blog to see if I could get into the Con next year as Media. Cross your fingers!

1 comments:

mark said...

"reach for the stars"? Okay Kasey Kasem.

Remember that show we were supposed to write involving you know. Well, I think it is time to start that up again. We just need to do it. I think it would help if we carried around a pen and paper and just write down crap that just pops into our head. Now we just need to figure out how to collect that crap.

We should log back into that Writely, ooops...google docs collaborative account we set up more than a year ago.

It's time to bring it all in and muster the ball of energy into creativity.

Post a Comment

Please sign your comments so I can know who to make voodoo dolls of!