2008-04-29

News And Reaction: Entertainment Edition




NEWS: Guillermo Del Toro inks to direct Hobbit + a surprise
REACTION: I suppose this is a good thing. I don't know that I've seen anything by GDT other than Hellboy [which I enjoyed despite never reading the comics.] Pan's Labyrinth sits unwatched on my DVD shelf still but it looked amazing from the trailers and was a movie I was very stoked about seeing when it came out... just... never... quite did it! Annnnyways, I'm disappointed that Jackson's not directing this himself but he's producing so I'm hoping he has his fingers deep enough in the pie to keep it from going off the tracks. In a bit of a surprise, it was announced that GDT wouldn't just be doing The Hobbit... nor would The Hobbit be split into two movies as was rumored... but rather, he will also be doing a movie that will serve as a "bridge" between The Hobbit and LOTR. That's dangerous ground to tread and I wish him all the luck needed to pull it off. Oh, and to cap it off, he's already saying all the right things by saying he will not recast any role from the original trilogy if the actor is willing and able to be in either the Hobbit or The Bridge.

NEWS: Iron Man early reviews are mixed
REACTION: Fuck that noise. Favreau is money, baby.

NEWS: Seven people were injured Saturday in a collision between a bus and several cars during the filming of G.I. Joe in the center of Prague, reports the AFP.
REACTION: They're blaming braking problems. I'm guessing Scarlett got behind the wheel in her invisible suit, slipped on Destro's mask, and got her mind taken over by nanobites. Happens all the time.

NEWS: Jackman looking at Batman Begins for inspiration for Wolverine
REACTION: Correction. The title of the movie is currently "X-Men Origins: Wolverine."

...

I fucking hate people. That's really the name of it? I just really fucking hate people.

Sigh.

Well, the story is that Jackman says the flick will be dark, damn dark... and that it'll be close in tone to Batman Begins. That's a good thing and an appropriate thing... if they can pull it off. After the debacle that was the third X flick, I give these fuckers no benefit of the doubt until they earn it.

The story ends with Jackman saying he feels like he could do 10 or 11 more Wolvie movies right now. Let's just hope the first one is good enough for people to want to see another one before we get all crazy-like!

Alright, that's it for today. But if you made it this far, you deserve a bonus!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, no thoughts on The Hobbit - read 'em all a while ago. Enjoyed the LOTR trilogy as well (books & movies).

I really am turning a deaf ear to any more G.I. Joe news as I have an overall negative view of it (the movie) & would rather be surprised if it turns out better than I currently imagine. We'll really have to see. If you come across a really compelling piece of news that could sway me, please make it a point to make sure I read it.

With regards to Ironman - I agree - fuck the haters. The movie looks really solid. Will it be a "Batman Begins"? Probably not, but I don't expect it. That's a high bar - there are several superhero movies that are also solid: Spiderman 1(the effects of the 1st one were groundbreaking at the time and the story was sufficient, the second one sucked, & the 3rd - well, what the fuck?! they had such potential with Venom being introduced and WHAT THE HELL was with the jazz bar scene?!?!?!?!), Daredevil, X-men 1 & 2 (3 wasn't terrible, but I'm trying to respect your blog - I do concede it was the worse of the 3 though), Transformers etc....I think Ironman will follow suit. If anything, the marketing has this movie goer excited - that's saying something because I'm not only critical - I initially thought, "Fuck Ironman - never heard of it!".

I have high hopes for Wolverine - I was a huge fan and it was also one of the few comics I not only followed, but collected. In all 3 X-men - I enjoyed his appearances. I think the success of this potential franchise will depend largely on the script. I think the movie making effects/elements will be there to take care of itself - much like Batman Begins - the movie effects were awesome, but the story really sealed the deal.

Anyways, we'll have to see. Good post.

Blue said...

How can you turn a deaf ear to G.I. Joe? Come on... SHE'S INVISIBLE! MIND CONTROL! NANOBITES! It's gold, Billy Mays! Gold!

On your rundown of comic movies... I thought Spidey 2 was decent... maybe even somewhere approaching "good." The third one was a disaster though. And the jazz scene was just a continuation of the "Every Marvel Movie Has A Dance Scene" trend for a while.

You liked Daredevil? I heard the Director's Cut of DD is world's better than the theatrical but never made the effort to see it [same with the Punisher flick actually.]

X-Men 3 was so terrible... if you're a comic fan. If you're not, you can live with as an okay popcorn flick. If you're a comic fan, you wouldn't piss on the original print of that movie if it was on fire and wrapped around the throat of Stan Lee.

Still haven't watched Transformers.

I really have high hopes for Iron Man and have since Comic-Con last year when Favreau showed off the first footage. I'm hopeful to go check it out on Friday night.

And unlike you, I have really low hopes for Wolverine. Very low actually. As in, I just can't imagine it not sucking. But we shall see!

This might be a good Top 5 Friday... best [or worst] comic book movies. Hrmm.

Post a Comment

Please sign your comments so I can know who to make voodoo dolls of!