2008-07-07

Where Do We Go From Here?

Forrest Griffin is the UFC Light Heavyweight Champion.

Everybody got that?

Now, with a very close fight just barely in the books, a lot of people will immediately call for a rematch with Rampage for Forrest's first title defense. It makes sense and probably will draw very well. Rampage obviously was not quite the same after those early leg kicks and quite possibly was injured going into the fight. I would have no problem with an immediate rematch for Rampage.

But it's not what I would book.

There's a lot of groundswell building for a Machida title shot. It's getting hard to deny him a shot even though he's boring as hell in the cage. But he keeps beating everyone in his path so at what point do you give in and let him have a shot? Not yet. Forrest doesn't strike me as a good matchup for Machida in an attempt to make an entertaining fight.

So, that's not it either.

A lot of people will say the winner of Rashad Evans and Chuck Liddell should get the next shot. I have absolutely no desire to ever see Rashad Evans fight for a title - but I don't think that'll be a problem. Not that I think it would stop Dana but doesn't it seem odd to give Chuck a title match against someone that Chuck lost to?

That would also seemingly take Wanderlei Silva out of the equation since he lost to Chuck who lost to Rampage.

So... who gets the shot?

Here's my vote...

Winner of Rashad/Chuck gets a match with Rampage. I hate to put poor Wanderlei in a match that might suck but face him off with Machida. Whoever puts on the best showing out of those five gets the New Year's title shot.

So, who does Forrest get?

How about Michael Bisping? Should be a fun, exciting, marketable fight that Forrest would probably win to keep all the possible big matches alive.

Thoughts?

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was there @ UFC w/you so you know how I feel about Forrest winning - I'm really happy he did. He took the worst Rampage has dished out & survived. He took the hit that knocked Chuck out! Could've been luck, a hard head, or a combination of both. I think for anyone to win it takes a little luck & hard headedness.

In any case, I do not agree w/having Forrest fight Bisbing next. I think a rematch would be in order. Rampage has basically "put in the time" to deserve a rematch - he was the undisputed champ of not only the UFC, but also Pride. He also unified the titles. How does all of that not warrant an immediate rematch? I will acquiesce that having putting Rampage in a position to earn a rematch (i.e. having him fight Chuck/Evans/Machida)would make for a great series of fights and drama. Aside from Rampage's leg getting hurt, I think we all saw how weak his ground game is. If Rampage has a downfall, I think it's his ground game.

In any case, I would like to see Chuck win over Rashad & face Forrest. That would be a great fight. I mean, Forrest beat Shogun & Rampage - those are both world class fighters.

Oh well, I'll call Dana up & put in a good word for you.

Peace out,

Billy Mays

Post a Comment

Please sign your comments so I can know who to make voodoo dolls of!