2008-11-21

I've Got Nothing

I just haven't had anything to say lately. I can't write anything on my screenplay either without almost instantly hating and/or second-guessing it. I guess this is what you'd call a serious case of writers' block.

It would have been my friend Danny's 32nd birthday today. I feel bad cause I almost forgot about it. In the past two years, a few of us have gotten together to play poker and have some drinks in his memory but... well, I guess no one wanted [or could?] do it this year since no one's really mentioned it in a while. I think things have been a little weird with the group this year. After last year with two weddings and all the stuff that go with it, I feel like I haven't seen much of anyone this year... especially lately. Everyone's busy, I know... work, unemployment, babies on the way, the economy in the toilet, people fighting with each other... it's just been a weird year. It's a little sad because after Danny died, we all said the right things - how it had brought everyone closer than ever and how we wouldn't drift apart again, keep in touch, make sure we were getting together for stuff, not let the little things fuck things up... but we're human so that stuff always comes back unfortunately. After a while, it's tough not to get right back into taking things for granted.

I still think about Danny quite a bit. Not as much as I have in the past couple years - I guess it gets less and less with time. But there's always those little things that bring him to mind. He'd get a kick out of me working in retail. He probably would have driven down just to come into the store to torment me. He would've liked everyone getting together almost every month for a while - he always liked the get-togethers. He'd be thrown by Brian having a baby. I still remember the night of our friend Steve's wedding - no one thought Steve would be the first to get married. Danny and I spent the entire night just at random looking at one another and saying, "I can't believe Steve's married."

It's the little things. Always will be, I guess.

Still thinkin' of you, pal. Happy birthday.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please sign your comments so I can know who to make voodoo dolls of!