2009-01-28

Mixtape Of The Month: January 2009

In keeping with the spirit of last night's post about Indie 103, I decided it was finally time to put up the mixtape I've been slowly working on. As you know, I've toyed with different formats to this over the months and I still haven't really found one that I liked but for now, I thought I'd go with this...

Fuck Corporate Radio
January 28, 2009
Runtime: 58:39

Side A
------
The Sound - Moody Motorcycle


This is one of those songs that if you're not incredibly careful - it'll end up dancing around your head for the entirety of the day. The chorus is as catchy as peanut butter salmonella and twice as deadly! I went back and forth on it at first if I liked the song at all but by the end, I found myself humming it when I hadn't heard it in hours. So, now that I've got you bobbing your head and singing along to the opening track...

New Room - The Botticellis
Time to take it down a step. It's a nice, simple, melodic song with nothing fancy to it. But the vocals are sharp and the music is passable. Together, it's a killer combination. Imeem doesn't have this one - BOOOOOO! - but I've linked to the kind folks at My Old Kentucky Blog. Hopefully they won't mind the extra traffic.

Border Guards - The Rosebuds

It's still a little down but the beat is up at least. I was afraid I might put you guys to sleep if I went with what I really wanted to slot in here. This'll keep you in the same groove as the Botticellis but it'll pick things up a notch.

Blue Ocean Blue - Lake

This song sounds like it should have been done by Mates Of State - which is an amazingly awesome compliment in my book because I adore Mates of State. The music actually kinda sounds like something out of an 80's videogame which is an odd comparison but when you hear it, you'll believe me. POSSIBLE KILL SCREEN!

Snowblind - +/-

You've got to appreciate a song that can start off with just a slight backing track and a soft, simple vocal and still manage to hold your attention until the song really kicks to the next level. Reminds me a little of The Postal Service at times. This is actually one of my favorite songs at the moment.

We Intertwined - The Hush Sound
Sadly, I couldn't find this anywhere for you guys. It's a real shame too because this is one of my favorite songs on this mix. I heard Fastball's "Out Of My Head" on my way to work today and it strikes me that the lead singer for them and the lead singer for The Hush Sound sound a lot alike - on this song at least. Go out of your way to hunt this one down. You won't be disappointed.

Big Star - Haley Bonar

I'll be damned if this song doesn't sound like it belongs in a movie or TV show. Especially when the chorus hits. The song isn't very remarkable and may end up quite forgettable in the end. But for now, the chorus sticks a bit in my head. The vocals sorta remind me of a solo version of Tegan & Sara for some reason. Anyone else getting that vibe?

Unforgettable Season - Cut Copy

To close out Side A, here's some words of comfort: If you're one of the few people left in the indie music listening world that somehow managed to miss out on the Cut Copy craze in 2008, it's going to be okay. The perfect blend of modern electronic music with a loving glance back at the 80's music of our youth - Cut Copy's music makes me happy. That's the only reason you should need to listen to them.


Side B
------

Singing The Devil's Tune - Nick Jaina

Before I knock you back out cold with some shoegazing, I thought I'd let Nick Jaina make sure you're still aware. This is another one that could be stuck in your head in an instant so be wary when the background vocals kick in.

Have You Forgotten - Denison Whitmer
Damn it to hell. Another song I couldn't find online for y'all. I was on a roll here with snapping off a trio of what could totally pass as folk music - the kind of song that would fit right in with some imagery out of The Grapes Of Wrath or some such shit like that. Man, I'm a terrible music writer. I'm gifted with the ability of bullshit in so many areas - why can't I write music-related bullshit?

Murder In The City - The Avett Brothers
The exciting conclusion to my Grapes Of Wrath trilogy! Are you still awake? It could be worse. I could've slipped in some Greg Graffin folk music here. Did everyone know that Greg Graffin - yes, Bad Religion's lead singer Greg Graffin - has his own folk album? Who knew? Thanks for expanding my musical horizons, Danny. I'm going to link elsewhere for this one too to the AMAZING I Am Fuel, You Are Friends

Hey Hey Hey (That Kids Okay) - Ruby Isle
Thanks to FensePost for the link.

Again, I'm not sure I'll like this song next month - or tomorrow for that matter. Hell, I might decide it's shit by the time I finish this sentence. But for now, in this time and place, I find this to be a perfectly harmless piece of fluff to break up the folk rock-a-thon.

My Friend - Dr. Dog

Okay, this one - I'm late to the party on. For months, the Interweb has been all afiery about the awesomeness of Dr. Dog and I just couldn't get it. I could listen to it - but I couldn't hear it in the immortal words of the brilliant screenwriter for White Men Can't Jump. But this one? I kinda dig it. It's got something kinda cool - a throwback sorta sound at times while avoiding being pigeonholed into some kind of "retro" slot. This one won't be for everyone but check it out. Give it a spin.

Holy Cow (demo) - Margot & The Nuclear So And Sos

Beautiful song - and don't look now, but this chorus will be wedged between your firing synapses in no time as well. The linked version isn't the demo but it'll do, donkey. I dig the demo because it's stripped down to the very basics. It really adds a charm to it that I don't think the final product has in quite as strong supply.

Sad Song (Pacific Remix) - Au Revoir Simone

This is an okay-to-good song. There are parts of it that I really, really like and parts of it I'm just kinda "meh" over. But in the end, it's a nice pick me up before the slow song that wraps up this edition of the Mixtape Of The Month.

Butterfly Nets - Bishop Allen

Sheer awesomeness. If you don't like this song, I'm not sure I like you anymore and I really doubt we can be friends. So, if you value our friendship, listen to the song again and change your mind.

I'm waiting.



STILL waiting!


Okay... you're back. Change your mind?


Awesome! Now we can be friends again! Now where the fuck did I put that hugging emoticon?

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Blue...long time reader, first time commenter (er...is that the right word?) Anyways, great mix tape! But, have you gone soft on me? Lots of folksy stuff which, don't get me wrong, I love, but sometimes I want something to rock out to. How about you? Also, I like this format with imeem. -boo boo kitty...well, you know the rest

Post a Comment

Please sign your comments so I can know who to make voodoo dolls of!