2009-04-01

March 2009: The Month In Music

I skipped a Mixtape Of The Month for March because I never got around to doing the one on movie scores that I was hopeful of doing. But I will keep going with the listing of March's top songs according to my iTunes playlists!

In February, I added 120 songs during the 28 days. For March, that number dropped drastically to just 39 songs in 31 days. And I actually only managed to listen to 30 of those. To make the Top 5 for March, the song only had to be played in its entirety FIVE times.

Let's take a closer look!

Top 5 Played Of March 2009

Honorable Mention:
No Wedding Cake - Fol Chen

5. Voices Carry - Til Tuesday
Every once in a while, you stumble across a song on the radio or on TV or just rattling around your own brain that you thought for sure you had in your music library that you turn out not to have. Once you add it, it's all downhill from there.

4. God Knows - El Perro Del Mar
This song kinda... enchants... me. It has such a nice, sickly sweet melody that kinda draws me in with a 50/60s oldies vibe to it. The lyrics are just kinda... there. The vocals don't do a lot for me. But that damn melody keeps me listening to this song over and over again. I think I'd actually love an instrumental of this song.

3. Home Sweet Home - Carrie Underwood
This year's American Idol kiss-off song makes #3 on the list with a bullet. To some, the idea of Carrie Underwood covering Motley Crue makes them repulsed and swearing off music as a whole. To me, it made me not able to stand up for a little while ifyaknowwhatimsayin!

2. Saddle Up - The Boy Least Likely To
I'll be totally honest. When I saw this on the list, it was the only song in the Top 5 that I had absolutely no idea what it was. Now that I'm listening to it to remind myself... nope. Still don't remember it. But apparently it's inoffensive enough that I listened to it all the way through when I heard it several times this month. And as I'm listening to it now... I'm not even sure I like it that much. Weird.

1. Alone - Allison Iraheta
It's that time of year so I expect a few Idol songs to pop up on these lists over the next couple months. I think it was on the very first of the Top 13 shows when 16-year old Allison belted out this awesome version of Heart's "Alone" with just enough of the rock chick gravel growl to make me smile. Oh, and she got totally hosed by being stuck in the Bottom 3 this week. I was very harsh on her version of "Don't Speak" since... well, she kinda fucked it up and I've heard that song so many times done so well by No Doubt. Also, the weirdness of realizing she was actually about three years old when this song was famous... yeah. Weird.

And in the ever-growing running tally... The Top 20 of 2009 to date!


20. November Was White, December Was Grey - Say Hi
19. Stay Alive - The Pains Of Being Pure At Heart
18. People Got A Lotta Nerve - Neko Case
17. Number One - Miss Fairchild
16. My Life Would Suck Without You - Kelly Clarkson
15. Seattle - The BPA
14. Alone - Allison Iraheta
13. You You You You You - The 6ths And Katharine Whalen
12. I Was Never Your Boyfriend - Tigers Jaw
11. Let It Slip - The School
10. More Adventurous - Rilo Kiley
9. The Good Old Days - The Lodger
8. Hot N Cold - Katy Perry
7. Secret Heart - Feist
6. Come Saturday - The Pains Of Being Pure At Heart
5. Green Means Go - The Color Wheels
4. We Rule The School - Belle And Sebastian
3. Jai Ho - AR Rahman
2. Thank You Mario But... - The Mountain Goats
1. Latika's Theme - AR Rahman


I'll do the Seeqpod list shortly. Having some Internet issues right now.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please sign your comments so I can know who to make voodoo dolls of!