2009-04-04

Top 25 Friday: A Wrestlemania Edition (part 2)

Alright, alright, alright! Let's finish this!

Wrestlemania XIV
I really wish I could remember the Shamrock/Rock and Dumpster Match a little better but absent that, I'm going to have to assume that Austin/Michaels was my favorite match on the show. The interesting thing about that one in retrospect was just how amazing it was considering what condition HBK was in that night with the back injury. The other interesting thing is the long-time story that Shawn started to balk about losing to Austin the day of the match and Taker had to pay him a visit, firmly telling him that he WOULD be "doing the job" all the while taping his fists. Yep. I'd be convinced.

Wrestlemania XV
Man, that lineup looks horrid. I don't know if anything on that show would have been watching except the Main Event. I remember the Hell In The Cell being awful. A couple of DQs in key matches doesn't help. This was at the heart of the Russo Era so I can recall the Hardcore and IC Titles being switched like... the week before the show, killing all the buildup for both matches. Weird. Let's just assume Austin vs The Rock was the only thing worth a damn at all although I bet Shane vs X-Pac was fun too.

Wrestlemania 2000
The one and only Wrestlemania that I was able to attend in person and it's widely remembered as one of the worst Manias ever. Sigh. Just my luck. Everyone, of course, remembers the Main Event as it was one of the only times the show ended with a heel triumphing - just killing the crowd. I recall the IC Title Match being pretty solid but without a doubt, the show-stealer that day in Anaheim was the Tables and Ladders match with Edge/Christian vs The Dudleys vs the Hardys. This was the precursor to the TLC match and it did a damn fine job of setting the bar. I remember cringing and roaring with every nutty spot and being absolutely stunned when my brother-in-law's girlfriend decided to go outside to smoke in the middle of that match. Ahhh, good times.

Wrestlemania X-7
Damn it! One year removed from one of the worst Manias, they knock it out of the park with arguably the best top to bottom show in Mania history. There is very little on this show that wasn't absolutely awesome. Even stuff like the Hardcore, IC, and Euro Title matches at the bottom of the card were fun. There's so many choices here but I think I've got to go with the TLC match. That hanging spear by Edge still is one of my favorite spots in wrestling history and it had just the right amount of craziness with Lita, Spike, and Rhyno getting involved. Just a fantastically fun match that I could watch over and over easily.

Wrestlemania X8
Another really fun show where the Main Event was completely blown away by an undercard match [or two.] I really want to pick Taker/Flair here because my memory of that awesome Arn Anderson spinebuster out of nowhere is so damn vivid.



But in the end, I've gotta go with that amazing Hogan/Rock match. It was just surreal to see with Rocky riding such a huge wave of popularity - he got booed! And the hated Hollywood Hogan, for at least that night, was the hero of the masses one more time. The match itself is nothing fantastic but the atmosphere makes this one a must-see.

Wrestlemania XIX
Oddly, I barely remember this show. There are certain things I remember - Brock botching the SSP, Piper interfering in Hogan vs Vince, Triple H going over Booker after all signs pointed the other direction. But my brain won't process if any of those were great. But I seem to recall HBK vs Jericho being amazing. I'm going with that one.

Wrestlemania XX
Goldberg vs Brock! Just kidding. Man, how bad did that match end up being? This is one of those shows a lot of people have gone out of there way to avoid talking about in the hype leading up to tomorrow's show. Why? Chris Benoit. A lot of people still aren't able to face the fact that they were once entertained by a murderer. I've chosen to try and separate the athlete from the person... key word is "try" because it's a difficult thing to do and I'm not always successful. The three-way with HHH, Benoit, and HBK was easily the best match on this show. I can vividly recall screaming at the television for HHH to tap out and being so elated when he did. Plus, you get the post-match embrace with Eddie and Benoit and it's just a money, money shot. The hard thing to separate on this one is that part of the reason you wanted Benoit to win so badly was because he seemed like a good person who just always got the shaft. FYI, at Booker T's fanfest this weekend, there was going to be a presentation about the Benoit situation where they talked about some of the results of the brain exam they've done on him after the fact. Should be interesting.

Wrestlemania 21
I don't remember being wowed by HHH/Batista and I recall Rey/Eddie being disappointing. That leaves MITB, Taker/Orton, and Angle/HBK. I'm actually going with Taker/Orton although my brain recalls Angle/HBK being outstanding. Taker/Orton had something special to it because for the first time in quite a while, you actually could believe The Streak might end that night. So, on all the near falls, there was a little something extra. The RKO Spot off the chokeslam was amazing. The Cowboy Bob interference was golden. And all of this was before Orton got REALLY good. My new wishlist for Mania Taker matches? John Cena and Randy Orton. Both of those guys would look to have SUCH a legit chance to end The Streak, the place would be coming unglued on every near fall. BOOK IT!



Wrestlemania 22
It'd be easy to go with the really good Cena/HHH Main Event or the very memorable Shawn vs Vince No Holds Barred match but in the end, you've got to pick Mick Foley's Wrestlemania Moment. Foley vs Edge in a hardcore match was EASILY the best hardcore match that Wrestlemania has ever seen and it rivals TLC for the best gimmick match in Mania history. They pulled out all the stops... who the hell would have imagined a flaming table at a Wrestlemania? Completely and totally my favorite match on the show.



Wrestlemania 23
The 20 year anniversary of Mania 3 should have had the Hogan/Big Show showdown. I don't care what anyone says - it really would've added something special to the show. Not to say it wasn't filled with special stuff. Vince getting his head shaved was very cool for one thing. But I've got to go with Cena vs Michaels as the best match on the show.

Wrestlemania 24
Gee, I wonder. There was one match that was destined to steal the show on this night and it did exactly that. Ric Flair. Shawn Michaels. Can it end any other way?



And that's that!

But "wait!" you cry - that's only 24 matches!

It certainly is. But now, I'm going to pick the match most likely to join this list in a little over 24 hours.

Shawn Michaels.

Undertaker.

Mark it down!

For the record, if we look back at the list, MY Mr. Wrestlemania results...

Honorable Mention:
Ultimate Warrior, Roddy Piper, Steve Austin, The Rock, Christian, The Hardys, The Dudleys

5. Edge
4. Bret Hart
3. Hulk Hogan
2. Randy Savage

And the one and only Mr. Wrestlemania...

1. Shawn Michaels!

If I get time before the show tomorrow, I'm going to pop back in and do a little fantasy booking 'cause that's how I roll.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

So I woke up this morning and after stumbling through my morning routine I decided to take a trip to see what the great and powerful Oz has been up to from behind the security of his Orange curtain. Normally I wouldn't wake up with such an inkling of thought howeer last night I got sucked into one hour of TV while my wife snored with her face buried into a pillow and her steamy hot pregnant furnice like feet trying to cool themselves on my lap...oh yes...this has become my Saurday night. Alas, channel surfing, I found my way to the WWE Hall of Fame induction ceremony and couldn't pull my eyes away. Ric Flair, Wooooo!, talking about his friend, the best wrestler he ever faced in the ring, Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat. Now call me skepticle. But what about his storied battles against Sting, Dusty Rhodes, even is match with Shawn Michaels. Call me sentimental, but I remember waking up on Saturday mornings and turning on WCW to watch Ric Flair start a match with Rhodes and the match never ending because television time could not allow. I'm not arguing that Ricky Steamboat wasn't perhaps the best friend that Ric Flair ever had, (as he stated) but I do contest his belief that Ricky Steamboat was his greatest match ever.
Shocked by the fact that I had managed to watch nearly 30 minutes of this induction I soon realized that I couldn't even look forward to the commercial breaks for salvation. Maybe a soda from the fridge, or some sunchips. No. Can't leave the sofa because this wasn't actally a Hall of Fame ceremony. I mean it was according to the guide. This was an hour long infomercial for today's iconic 25th annual Wrestlemania. The Streak vs. Mr. Wrestlemania. Undertaker vs. Michaels. Ohhhh. In a two minute teaser video WWE can really make me want to see it and build on the drama of what my life would be like if I didn't get to see it. But then the reality set in again. The snoring of my wife, the constant parade of her feet dancing on my belly, the jumbotron telling the crowd to applaud as the show came out of commercial break. Fire that camera guy!!! I almost bought it. For a brief moment, I thought about going all pay-per view and spending my Sunday night living in my past.
Don't get me wrong, seeing Vince McMahon talk about how much he despised Stone Cold Steve Austin as he then inducted him into the hall was hard to stomach. I can't stand the McMahon. I will give credit where it is due...Wrestlemania III. To this day the best wrestling based 3 hours of my viewing life. Even better then the time we saw the Iron Shiek wrestle at the Victorville Fair Grounds. But come on. Why does that tool get to introduce the Rattlesnake? But then Austin 3:16 brought a moment of truth to the ceremony. He stumbled through an attempt to be funny about how the Men's Warehouse gave him a crappy suit, but then, like he was talking for the first time without a teleprompter, he thanked everyone. It was almost emotional. The crowd began chanting "one more match," he laughed and said no way. It was genuine. He was choked up, then in a brief moment of clarity, WWE must have realized this was their chance, explosion of confetti! Just like at the Oscars, oh wait. But rather than going down in cheese, Stone Cold said so...he slammed to Miller lights. It was actually kind of awesome.
Where were you at? How could you not blog this. Poff doesn't need to read about the history of Wrestlemania. He needs to see how it all ends for some of the great one's. Audience shots of Arn Anderson and Koko B.Ware. This was just as much about giving them one more night in the spot light so that they can go back to there regular life outside of the ring and the brouhaha. (spellcheck). So here it is. My humble request. Blog your ass off about Wrestlemania 25. I'm not watching it. But your words are going to be my lifeline to the past. I want to know what happens, but I don't want to watch...it's too painfull after all these years...

Cool blog about our No Doubt show at the Glasshouse by the way...

B

Post a Comment

Please sign your comments so I can know who to make voodoo dolls of!