2009-05-31

A Fitting Farewell...But Not



Last night, the Missus and I decided to burn through the last half dozen or so episodes of Scrubs that we had sitting on the DVR. As you may be aware, this was supposed to be the final season of Scrubs after NBC fucked them out of what was SUPPOSED to be their final season last year.

Earlier this year when The Shield wrapped up its run and then again when BSG did the same (seriously? We lost both of those this year? I'm already fucking depressed) I commented on the difficulty in putting together a series finale. There have been so many really, really bad and disappointing series finales, it's almost like we expect that now.

Scrubs accomplished the opposite. The "home stretch" of episodes that we watched last night were absolutely fantastic television. So many heart-felt moments that the show is so good at mixed with the crazy, zany humor that the show is so good at. As we got closer to the finale, I started to feel a little sad that we were going to see it go.

And then the finale arrived.

It's an odd thing - a series finale. For most shows, a series finale is quite the bittersweet moment. While you sit and wait and wait and eagerly anticipate just what the creative forces can do knowing there's "no tomorrow" there's also a piece of you who is - again - really fucking depressed that it's ending. I know I felt that strongly for The Shield. I was also pretty bummed that BSG was ending even though I hadn't dedicated much time to it. And I can already tell you that having no more Lost on Wednesday nights is going to make my brain bleed.

But Scrubs was different.

Scrubs has long ago passed the point where I eagerly looked forward to it every week. It wasn't like it was a chore to watch it or that I was watching out of habit - I just didn't really care that much about what was going on. Scrubs was the show where every week you'd watch it and most weeks you'd say, "That was good" and then forget about it. So, the end of Scrubs wasn't really going to bum me out.

And then the finale arrived.

And it was... perfect.

It was the absolute perfect way to end the show. I was okay with the series ending and I was happy with the way everything was resolved. I ended the finale thinking, "This show really couldn't have a better ending."

Unfortunately, they're going to have to try. As the show was ending, I also was thinking, "God, I really wish they hadn't agreed to another season."

Yep, "one more year" with a scrambling of old and new cast members.

Eh. I'm just not feelin' it.

While at one time, I thought The West WIng should last forever, simply by changing the cast every 4-8 years with a new administration... I just don't think Scrubs should keep going with a new cast. It just feels... cheap... to me at this point.

Who knows? I may change my mind when it re-arrives on ABC but right now? I think it's a bad call.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please sign your comments so I can know who to make voodoo dolls of!