2006-03-06

And The Oscar Goes To...

Award shows have really started to bug me over the years. I used to watch 'em all... MTV...AMAs... Grammys... Golden Globes... Oscars. Now, I can barely make it through them. And it's even worse when you don't know anything about the nominees.

This is one of those weird years that I haven't seen any of the movies up for Best Picture... so I just didn't give a damn.

Jon Stewart and the Three Six Mafia almost saved the show for me... almost. Stewart was golden as one of those hosts that is damn funny but not so funny as to completely overshadow the rest of the show. And the Oscar going to a song about a pimp? Gold, baby... gold. When that was announced, if you felt a strong breeze through your living room... don't be alarmed. It was just the collective assholes of Hollywood puckering in an instant.

Why were there only three best song nominees? To me, the performance of those songs usually is one of the show's highlights and to have it cut down to Dolly Parton and the Three Six Mafia really watered down an already watery show.

While I value the contributions of visual effects and cinematographers and sound editors... is there a need to have that on the broadcast? It means less to the people at home than it does to most of the people in the crowd. In fact, the only thing I learned from those awards is that a lot of people in the industry owe their asses to Peter Jackson.

Oh... and in case you've forgotten in the handful of hours since it was mentioned a dozen times...

GO WATCH MOVIES ON THE BIG SCREEN! NO TV! NO DVD! NO IPOD VIDEO!

Seriously... is there really no one who appreciated the irony in doing a video montage to show movies that should only be seen on the big screen... for a show that will never be shown on the big screen?

Ten days and counting. TEN DAYS!

Song I'm Listening To Currently: Into The West -Annie Lennox
Book I'm Reading Currently: The Plot Against America - Phillip Roth
Movie I Last Saw In The Theater: Harry Potter And The Goblet Of Fire [IMAX]

1 comments:

mark said...

did not see the show - except for Will Ferell and Steve Carell doing the best make-up (funny) and Philip Seymour Hoffman's acceptance speech (PSH was the Bomb in Boogie Nights).

The reason the oscars suck - Wedding Crashers did not get nominated for Best Picture.

Try this: MI3 is to Philip Seymour Hoffman as Stealth is to Jamie Foxx

Post a Comment

Please sign your comments so I can know who to make voodoo dolls of!