2006-04-04

Dueling Holidays

Well, well, well... it's been a while, my friends.

Between starting the new job and going to Vegas last week, I've been keeping pretty busy and haven't had a lot of time but I'm going to make an honest effort to get back to regular posting on here... maybe even daily if I can manage to come up with that much to bullshit about.

But today... I have a very specfic topic in mind.

Dueling Holidays.

You see... as a non-football fan, I've always felt a little deprived as a human being. No, not that I'm missing out on something great on the gridiron... but rather I've always felt just one holiday short.

I have no Superbowl Sunday. Sure, I'll watch the game but I don't really give a damn.

In response, I propose two new holidays be added to the schedule.

WRESTLEMANIA SUNDAY!!!

Oh come on... don't roll your eyes at me. For any and all wrestling fans around the world... hell, to people who haven't even watched wrestling in years... everyone comes together on Wrestlemania Sunday. Even when the lineup looks like ass, you've got better odds than any other day on the calendar of seeing something truly special unfold inside that squared circle.

On Saturday night, I was in Vegas drinking with my friend Steve, an old high school chum, his wife, and a couple of their friends that they happened to be going to a concert with. Somehow, the topic turned to wrestling... and then... to Wrestlemania. Steve's Friend #1 said: "It's Wrestlemania! Let's go to Sam's Town and watch it!" Friend #2 replied with a, "But wrestling sucks now." F#1: BUT IT'S WRESTLEMANIA!

You're damn right it is... and that's all it takes to be a special day to me.

And my other proposed holiday?

Baseball Opening Day!

Yes, that was two days in a row this year... but what a great two days it was. Unfortunately, I didn't get to take Opening Day off this year since I was just coming back from Vegas but the feel was in the air all day. It's that one day of the baseball season when absolutely anything can happen... when everyone is even and even the Tampa Bay fans can dream of the World Series.

For baseball fans, our sport has become the redheaded stepchild of sports. It's "too boring" or "too slow" for the instant gratification masses who don't appreciate the subtleties of the game... for those thimbles of humanity who are too shallow to realize they are watching a living artform unfold.

There's no one scoring every time down the floor... there's no one getting tackled every forty seconds.

But there's art... there's the glory of victory... the agony of defeat...

The dreams of what's possible.

There's baseball... and that's enough for me.

Song I'm Listening To Currently: "My Son Mystic" - Gay Dad
Book I'm Reading Currently: None
Movie I Last Saw In The Theater: Harry Potter And The Goblet Of Fire [IMAX]

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please sign your comments so I can know who to make voodoo dolls of!