2008-02-04

GI Joe casting making progress

Ugh. Just ugh.

I wrote a while back about the possibilities for Duke of which there were a few. And the one that I least wanted was that bastard from Step Up. And who gets the role?

As I said... ugh, just ugh.

But it gets worse. Some guy named Joseph Gordon-Levitt [who I just found out is the kid from 10 things I Hate About You] had been rumored to be in the cast for a while now but there was no news on what role he'd be playing. Well, the news broke recently that he'll be playing "Duke's best friend." Right. No such character that we know of, correct? And then it gets one notch worse. Not only is he Duke's best friend... but he turns evil and becomes Cobra Commander. AHHHHHH!

I don't understand how Larry Hama is a creative consultant for this movie and they do something like that.

The hits keep coming as the guy who played Habib Marwan on 24 has been cast as Zartan. Yep, apparently as I predicted they will be using Cobra Commander, Baroness, Destro, Zartan, and the Dreadnoks as villains. Talk about overkill. Destro, you ask? Yep, he's going to be played by a stage actor by the name of David Murray that I've never heard of. And apparently Destro is going to be the main villain with Cobra Commander acting as a "puppet master."

Dennis Quaid landed the role of Hawk... which could be okay.

In an interview with producer Lorenzo Di Bonaventura, he compared the film to Batman Begins in terms of tone and it's desire to be true to the source material but to make the film a litte more grounded in reality. He also says that while the G.I. Joe team will be an international team, they will not be based in Brussels, and that the Joe commander, Duke, is still the embodiment of the "real American hero."

Apparently the Snakes/Stormy feud will be a big part of the movie as well.

One question I have? Where the hell is Stalker? It almost sounds like Ripcord is replacing him which just completely blows my mind.

So, yeah... quite the mixed bag of news there. Comments?

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well,
I'm okay w/Dennis as Hawk - a good choice. Not too happy about Gordon-Levitt as I hated 10 Things - also, Duke's best friend? - I was a HUGE GI Joe fan - had all the toys - including the aircraft carrier & hydro-foil - even sent away for the hooded Cobra Commander (just trying to demonstrate I'm not a casual observer) & I've NEVER heard of "Duke's Best Friend" turning evil. Of course, I wasn't too into the comic book version so it may have happened.

I do agree that Zartan (Habib playing this roll might be good, though) & the Dreadnoks are a bit overkill, but I'm okay with Cobra Commander acting as a "puppet master" - I think the movie is set in "present day", & I think that concept might keep the development of the other characters flowing a bit more. (It also might be setting the stage for future movies).

With regards to Stalker - I don't remember him being a "big" part - he was almost a "part time" character, no?

Anyways, we'll see - this movie is unique in that there hasn't been a super hero movie with as big of an ensemble (one could argue X-Men - Fantastic Four cannot be held in the same regard). I'm looking forward to it.

Go Joe!

Post a Comment

Please sign your comments so I can know who to make voodoo dolls of!