2008-04-24

Conflict of Loyalties

It's always a difficult time of year for me in April/May. The Dodgers are off to the start of another season... as ugly as of a start as it's been so far. The Lakers are starting their [hopefully] lengthy playoff run. Sometimes it creates quite the conflict of loyalties.

And so was the situation last night.

A few weeks ago, one of the sis-in-laws gifted a pair of tickets to last night's Dodgers game. They were Field level and looked to be pretty good seats so we were pretty stoked about making the mid-week trek up to Chavez Ravine...

...until Sunday when I realized that Laker Playoff Game 2 fell on the same night.

There was no question we were going to the Dodger game but it still stung. I DVRd the Lakers in hopes that I could avoid a final score before getting home. Tiiiiiiiime was on my side it appeared as the Dodger game started a half hour before the Lakers, meaning if the Dodgers wrapped things up in about three hours, I should be able to avoid a final score before leaving the stadium.

When I heard someone on the phone say, "No shit? Kobe has twenty in the first quarter?" I smiled... but cringed that I was getting details that I didn't want. I stopped checking my text messages because my friends are all evil sumbitches who would like nothing more than to spoil the Laker game inadvertently or no for me.

A while later, the Diamondvision lit up with, "NBA Playoffs: Down The Road At Staples!" I covered my ears and closed my eyes... but it didn't drown out the massive cheer, the chants of "SWEEP!" and "M-V-P!" I assumed the Lakers were winning but didn't pursue any details, still hopeful that time would ultimately be my ally.

But as the game went on, I got nervous. The game was simply taking too long. I kept checking the clock. Somewhere in the eighth, I told the Missus that they would show a final score before the Top of the 9th... I knew it.

And sure enough, they did. And no amount of eye-closing or ear-covering could drown out the roar of the Dodger Stadium crowd. I knew the Lakers had won... but it was just a question of by how much and how they played.

When we got home, we watched the first quarter with interest... then took turns falling asleep and missing most of the second. I watched the second half this morning.

Good offense. Bad Defense. Great Kobe. That about sums it up.

14 more. Purple and gold, baby.

Alright. That's enough for ya. I'm watching the Dodgers before Lost starts.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please sign your comments so I can know who to make voodoo dolls of!