2008-09-28

The Creative Process: Uh oh

The Creative Process went off track majorly this week. You may recall earlier in the week when I mentioned how I had two days off to write - well, I ended up working both days and as I approach my tenth consecutive day working, I've barely had time to write on here let alone work on the screenplay.

But here's a twist I didn't see coming - a two-part twist in fact.

First, I did actually manage to start the new screenplay before I was asked to cover for a sick co-worker. I was about three pages deep into it, writing a scene that I had played over and over in my head for weeks when I believe the following words came out of my mouth...

"Wow, this really sucks."

Not the idea, mind you, or the scene itself. But the dialogue was horrible. So much so in fact that I pondered making the opening sequence silent (an idea I still think might work.) So, Twist #1 saw me glaring painfully at the words I had written and thinking about restarting it from scratch.

And then the second twist occurred.

Annoyed, angry, irritated, upset, frustrated, sickened - all would be good words to toss in here about how I felt as I was driving to work and thinking about what I had written when something popped into my brain.

The novel idea I had mentioned previously. And I suddenly started wondering if I could turn that into a screenplay instead since I really liked the idea. And the more I started thinking about the idea, the more I liked it. And the more I liked it, the more I kept thinking about it and how I could evolve it.

And then I thought of something else I had seen recently which gave me a whole new way to tackle this idea.

And now?

Now, I sit here wondering if my decision between two screenplay ideas just got bushwhacked by a third - a dark horse if you weeeeeel - that might turn out better than either of the others at this particular moment in time.

I have two days off this week - maybe three if I make someone cover for me so I can watch Game One on Wednesday.

The plot, once more, thickens. Stay tuned.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Blue,
Maybe you can take it to Edward Norton and get into a bidding war when you are done. Later Poff Daddy (Hint: You gotta watch Entourage from last night)

Post a Comment

Please sign your comments so I can know who to make voodoo dolls of!