2008-11-30

Blade Runner. Gladiator. Monopoly?

Much thanks to a colleague at work who got me turned on to the /filmcast recently. I've only been able to listen to a couple of them so far but it's exactly what I look for in a film review - non-pretentious "normal" guys shooting the shit about a movie or TV show.

And yes, I do think I could probably do such a podcast as well. If only I had the cast to make it a group effort. A relaunch of the "You're My Boy, Blue!" podcast? Perhaps.

While listening to said podcast at lunch today, I heard something that managed to disturb and fascinate me - all at the same time.

A while back, I had heard that some board games had been optioned by a movie studio. The story made me roll my eyes and utter some diatribes about the pathetic state of Hollywood and their dependency on existing properties to save their collective financial asses.

But the plot thickened today when I heard that Ridley Scott had been inked to direct a Monopoly movie.

I'll let that sink in for a second.

Still with me?

Okay, so apparently Mr. Scott thinks there's something to be said for a story of someone going from nothing to riches and changing because of it. Some kind of humorous quality apparently.

Me? I'm just curious how many fucking dump trucks filled with cash it took to get him to sign on for this garbage.

I can see no value in a Monopoly movie. None. Zero. Zilch.

In fact, if this atrocity ever gets made (and that's a big if), I'd be willing to suggest that it probably should go straight to DVD. It should not pass go. It should not collect two hundred dollars.

But I am curious as to who they'll cast as the thimble.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please sign your comments so I can know who to make voodoo dolls of!