2008-12-06

Well, That Certainly Made Me Feel Old

One of the problems with working in retail is the amount of young 'uns you find yourself surrounded by every day. One of my best friends at the store (who actually transferred to a new store this week) is all of 18 years old. The Missus mocks me because I've always seemed to find a way to end up being friends with the youngest people at every place I've ever worked.

I thought it was bad enough at my last job when I was the one over 25 who could get the under 25 year olds into Dave and Busters but had to "be responsible for them." Talk about an impossible situation.

But today - today topped it all.

Fans of this space know that I'm a pro wrestling fan and have been so for 23 years or so. Earlier today, myself and another guy were giving one of our co-workers a hard time jokingly. In response, he said, "Did you guys watch wrestling when you were little kids?" Usually that comment precedes something about Hulk Hogan or Andre The Giant or the like.

And therein lies the problem.

His next sentence, "Remember that old tag team Degeneration X who used to run around and yell "Suck it!"?"

Right.

I didn't really think about it until I was sitting in the drive-thru tonight but then it really sunk in as to what he had said. I had to ponder it a bit but... well, DX started in late '07 - eleven years ago. That means that for some of these guys I work with, they WERE little kids! They were all of seven or eight or nine years old.

I was already legally able to drink and they were little kids sitting on the living room floor watching HHH and HBK crotch chop.

I think that made me feel older than anything ever has before.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome to my world. Kinda sucks, doesn't it.

D. Orr.

Post a Comment

Please sign your comments so I can know who to make voodoo dolls of!