2008-12-05

Beat The Clock

What do you write about when you were about to fall asleep and the
Missus says, "What did you blog about today?"

Damn.

I had this idea the other day for a "where are they now?" post about
bands I listened to 10-15 years ago. There were so many fly by night
punk and ska bands that I used to dig that there's bound to be some
interesting stories there.

I can do one off something I stumbled upon a week or two back. I used
to listen to a ska band called Save Ferris - clever, huh? They had a
female lead singer that seemed to put them in line for superstardom
after No Doubt exploded but aside from an alt rock radio single or
two, they simply faded away. A few years later, I recall reading that
the band had split and Momique, the lead singer, was suing to prevent
the band from performing shows without her under the Save Ferris name.

Fast forward to now and I was looking at a bill for an upcoming local
show that had a band listed as "featuring Monique from Save Ferris.".
Turns out it's a soul/R&B act she fronts with a great sound.

It's a bit of a sad story because truth be told, she had/has a better
voice than Gwen but just never matched the charisma or songwriting.

Ah well. One mystery solved in the ongoing chase to discover "where
are they now?"

Sent from my iPhone

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please sign your comments so I can know who to make voodoo dolls of!