2008-11-08

Manny Watch

Of course, by now, almost everyone has heard of the offer that the Dodgers made to Manny Ramirez this week in the range of 2 years at around 45 mil with an option year as well. The reason everyone's heard the offer? The Dodgers wanted it that way - and who can blame them?

They wanted it made very clear that they had made what they consider a fair offer for Manny's services and if they lose him, it's not for lack of effort. Now, whether anyone else considers this a fair offer is another story. Obviously, Scott Boras does not when he talks about Manny as an "iconic" player and draws comparisons to Bonds getting a contract from SF to take him into his forties. We've known for quite some time that Boras was shooting for a six year deal - a deal that nearly no one believes he'll get.

So, the question becomes quite simple. Was the offer:

a] A legitimate offer they believe Manny should consider.
b] A legitimate first offer they intend to better when the time is right.
c] A bullshit offer they made just to save face in the press.

Personally, I think it's Option B. I fully expect that when push comes to shove the Dodgers will offer three guaranteed years [possibly four] with an option year for a fourth at around 25 mil per.

Is it worth it?

With a starting rotation in shambles, one could argue the money could be better spent elsewhere perhaps. As much as I love Manny and the offensive firepower [not to mention amazing star power presence] he brings to our Boys In Blue, I am wary to put all those eggs in his temperamental basket.

In the end, for some reason, I expect Manny to remain a Dodger because I just can't see anyone else putting up the cash he wants [unless the Yanks or Mets get involved.] But what that means for the gaping holes at 3B, SS, 2B, and the starting rotation, I just don't know. I expect Dewitt will return at second after an entire spring at the position. I still think they'll manage to work out a deal with Furcal but his agent's hunt for a four year deal disturbs me. 3B could be a problem. I'd be fine with Casey Blake coming back but I don't know how likely that is. That leaves our starting rotation which currently consists of Billingsley and Kuroda. Expect Kershaw to join them. That still leaves two spots. I don't think they'll be able to retain Lowe and it looks like Maddux will finally retire. Do they go for broke with the kids and let McDonald join the rotation? Maybe offer Randy Johnson a decent deal to bring up the rear of the rotation?

It's gonna be a fun off-season!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please sign your comments so I can know who to make voodoo dolls of!