2008-11-05

Some Post-Election Thoughts

Going into yesterday's big day, three things were needed for a completely successful day.

1] Barack Obama winning the Presidency and doing so by a decent margin.

2] The Democrats hitting the magic number of 60 seats.

3] Prop 8 to go down in brutal, embarrassing, painful defeat.

When all the smoke cleared, only one of those appears likely to happen. One of three. In baseball, one of three every night puts you in the Hall of Fame. In politics? Well, it definitely put a slight damper on what should've been an amazing night.

That's not to say it wasn't an amazing night because it absolutely was. The shots of Jesse Jackson crying, of random Obama supporters in tears, of MLK's daughter speaking so proudly of her father's vision taking one step closer on that night, and of course, the speech. The speech that gave me chills time and time again. It was a night that I don't think any of us will ever forget.

But on the way to work this morning, I couldn't help but feel that I just wasn't quite as happy as I should have been. Even at work when discussing the election, people who were talking about Obama seemed a little down a bit. In the end, I summed it up like this.

"Election Night was a night that made me proud to be an American - but not so proud to be a Californian."

But hey, it could be worse. We could be from Arkansas where they took hate and bigotry to levels I could not even imagine. I'm sickened by their actions and disgusted to admit that my grandparents and mother were born in such a state.

The highlight of my day was realizing that I was right last night when I said that Prop 8 seemed destined for a Constitutional challenge under the Equal Protection clause. Even if you ignore the promise of equality for all, you have the very sticky situation of (I believe) 18,000 same-sex couples who already married in the past few months. You can't revoke their marriages, right? [although I'm sure the Religious Right will try.] So, how is that fair to the couples who will not get the same opportunity?

In the end, I believe Prop 8 will be struck down by the California Supreme Court which will domino into challenges in Arizona, Florida, and Arkansas. I wouldn't be surprised to see the highest court in the land eventually have to take on this issue as well.

It's a wonderful time to be an American citizen. Just by watching CNN last night and hearing the news reports today, you can see a glimmer of respect starting to inch back America's way from the leaders around the world. This is a good moment - a great opportunity. And I have every confidence that we have elected the right man to take advantage of that opportunity and help lift us from our dark and frightening today into a brighter, more prosperous tomorrow.

With the election over, I'm sure my political posts will wane in the days, weeks, and months to come - much to the relief of many of you I'm sure - but before they do, I would like to express again what an incredible experience it was to watch this race unfold, to be elated and disheartened week after week of the campaign, and ultimately to watch awe-inspiring history be made last night. I deeply enjoyed being able to share every moment of that with you all and I hope that, in the end, you managed to take a little bit away from it too. I know my beliefs and points-of-view can be a bit extreme and that the way I express them can be even more so but through it all, I expressed exactly as I felt and always tried to be as honest as possible. Even if you disagreed with me, hopefully you can not fault me for that.

So, how 'bout those Lakers?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Only time will tell how Barrack Obama will do for this country.

As someone who did not partake in voting on November 4th. I am very concerned where this country is heading. Promises were made on both the McCain and Obama campaigns. It remains to be seen if Obama's promises become a reality.

30571 Lorna G said...

I am shocked and surprised to hear that you did not partake (vote!) in this historic election, ljg! If not for the presidency, enough reason is to vote NO on Prop 8. I woke up at 5 am Tuesday morning to get to the polls by 6 and the poll opened at 7. Make your voice heard...remember, women were jailed and beaten during the era of suffrage just so you can vote today...

Blue said...

Not to play pile on but I was also pretty stunned and disappointed to read you chose not to vote.

Even if you didn't want to vote for the President - either out of indecision, apathy, a statement on the failings of a two-party political system, or what have you - there were still very important ballot initiatives like the aforementioned Prop 8 (as well as several others) that needed to be addressed.

Me personally? I took Election Day off so I could squirm and make myself sick with every exit poll that came in - but that's just me. In an election year that seems to have met or exceeded voter turnout marks in most states, it's disheartening to see that some people still found a reason not to vote.

Anonymous said...

I've actually really enjoyed your blog this political season, Blue. You had made a couple comments regarding your "extreme" points of view etc...This is YOUR blog - you can write about whatever you want. Extreme? I wouldn't say so. Passionate? Yes. Opinionated? Yes. Well articulated? Yes.

So, with regards to ljg not voting - if you had reasons, great. If not, that kind of stinks but this is America & that's your choice.

I wholeheartedly agree with you, Blue on Prop 8. I am actually surprised that it passed! I am the minority in my family with regards to my stance on it & I feel disappointed (maybe ashamed?!) that they wanted it to pass. That's the thing with Democracy. Much like free speech - sometimes you have to put up with shit to get to the good stuff.

With regards to Obama - yep, I voted for him. Let me be clear though - I am a registered Independent because I tend to be a little more conservative, fiscally speaking & very liberal with Social Issues - this creates quite the tug-of-war with my inner politician. I actually wasn't 100% pumped with either candidate this go around & I'm actually put off when people put Obama on this "messianic pedestal" that seems to be prevalent - no candidate should be viewed as that. I do think that given the world that we currently live in & the near future (the next 4 - 8 years) that Obama will be the better man to lead our country. That's why he got my vote. And I don't think either candidate is a "bad person" either. Politics aside, I think they're both very good men.

At the end of the day, this is a GREAT country - even with all it's flaws (make no mistake - there are some jacked up things in America). I can honestly say that I'd rather live here than anywhere else in the world. The mere fact that Obama is President demonstrates exactly why I love this country. I don't look down on people for voting for McCain. My whole family voted for him - but that's their choice. Thank God we have a choice to vote - period. In Iraq, you could get killed for voting.

With regards to the other Propositions, I agree with you on the Redistricting as well. There are a couple other propositions that did & didn't go my way.

At the end of the day, the people have spoken - they will again in the future.

Great job on the blog, Blue - keep it up!

Post a Comment

Please sign your comments so I can know who to make voodoo dolls of!