2009-01-12

Ongoing 2009 Match Of The Year Blog

So, I watched ECW this morning on the DVR.

Hardy/Henry was okay but fairly dull. The women's match was surprisingly decent. It's nice to see some women in the ring that don't usually get the chance. Boogeyman did his schtick and I didn't care.

BUT... there was a saving grace.

Jack Swagger vs Fit Finlay opened the show and had one hell of a match. Finlay was perfect as the tough-as-nails brawling veteran trying to outlast the up-and-coming arrogant youngster. Swagger worked Finlay's arm about as well as I've seen on WWE TV in a long, long while. There were some nice near falls sprinkled throughout and even your standard Hornswoggle comedy spot worked because Swagger got over on him right after it. They gave enough hope spots to make you think Finlay might take it but Swagger pulled it off in the end with a nice counter turned into the gutwrench powerbomb.

It was a fun as hell television match that I enjoyed a lot.

But was it a Match of the Year candidate? I've gone back and forth on that all day as I really liked it...

But... I think if I set the bar that low right away, I might be adding a lot of matches to this list throughout the year. I'm going to keep it on the DVR for a few more days while I think some more about it but right now, I'm leaning against it.

I also watched TNA Impact from last week... but fell asleep so I'm hoping I didn't miss anything of value. Sounds like there was a couple of matches on the TNA PPV from last night worth watching so I may need to check those out at some point.

But for now... Punk vs Regal is about to start. I've got high hopes for this one so I need to give it my attention!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please sign your comments so I can know who to make voodoo dolls of!