2009-02-06

Top Five Friday: RAIN!

Don't call it a comeback - just call it the long awaited return of Top Five Friday!

In honor of the rainy weather (my favorite) washing down all over Southern California and the craziness of Madonna's "Rain" coming up on random during my drive home, I decided to make this list.

Without further adieu...

THE TOP FIVE SONGS IN MY ITUNES LIBRARY WITH "RAIN" IN THE TITLE!

5. Rain King - Counting Crows
Ahhh, Counting Crows. I used to love them. I don't think I've heard anything new from them in years but that first album from them was golden. I couldn't even begin to imagine how many times that disc got spun round and round. The other thing that I'll always remember about them is that they were the first band that I listened to that my aunts got into later. For years it was the opposite - Springsteen, Petty, Styx, The Eagles, whatever. But the Crows were the first that I had first! Oh, and the live version I'm linking to is pretty fun. They sound like they're having a good time.

4. No Rain - Blind Melon
Now THIS one takes me back. Unfortunately, the first memory that came to mind only took me back a few months but that's okay. One of the girls at work said they planned on going as a bumblebee for Halloween and I queried if they were going for the Bee Girl. Looks of puzzlement ensued and I felt old. Turns out she had no idea who the Bee Girl was nor did she know Blind Melon. A quick YouTubin' made her recognize the song but she'd never seen the video. I blame MTV and their lack of livin' up to their name if you ask me.

3. Who'll Stop The Rain - Creedence Clearwater Revival
I don't think I have any funny stories about this song. But it's an awesome song with "rain" in the title so... nyah!

2. Have You Ever Seen The Rain? - Creedence Clearwater Revival
It's odd that two of my favorite CCR songs both involve "rain." It's even odder that perhaps my most vivid memory of this song is an R.E.M. show from several years ago. I remember it quite well because as long-time readers of this page know, R.E.M. is one of the Missus' favorite bands. We had tickets for a show at the nearby venue formerly known as Irvine Meadows and now known as OUTDOOR VENUE SOLD TO THE HIGHEST CORPORATE WHORE. So, we were supposed to go see R.E.M. at OVSTTHCW but it had been raining all day. Now, you know how your Ticketbastard tickets say "Rain Or Shine" on them? Fuck it all if they don't actually mean that shit. The debate was on - do we swallow the price of the tickets and skip the show or do we brave the elements and hope the rain doesn't arrive? Much to my dismay, we did the latter - which turned out okay for most of the night. But at one opportune moment, the skies opened up and it started to sprinkle which prompted this absolutely awesome one minute of stage time where Michael Stipe did an impromptu cover of this song as the rain fell down upon him. And so I say... simply... awesome.

And the #1 song with the word "Rain" in the title currently in my iTunes library...

1. November Rain - Guns N' Roses
Oh, don't act so surprised. Now, I can share two memories of this song for you. First? Remember when this song "hit it big" and all the Top 40 stations wanted to play it for all the little fuckers who saw the video on MTV? Remember how they bastardized it by ripping out the guitar solo and the end of the song? No? Well, obviously I do and I'm scarred for life over it! Oh, my other memory of this song? When I saw GNR in concert a couple of years ago and my friend Poff and I ceased and desisted all searching for our missing, drunk friend Phil so that we could watch this song be performed. Hey - you've got to have priorities, people.

And that's that. Let it rain!


SeeqPod - Playable Search

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please sign your comments so I can know who to make voodoo dolls of!