2009-03-17

Woooo! EDDIE!

It's weird. While I'm not the world's most knowledgeable Pearl Jam fan, I thought I would know a story like this one. Yesterday while digging through my favorite mp3 blogs, I ran across a post on the awe-inspiring I Am Fuel, You Are Friends about Pearl Jam working on a new album with a tour to follow.

And no, that's not the story.

There was a link in the post that led to the Rolling Stone website for an article about the same topic.

And no, that's not the story.

There was a link in THAT article that led to an AMAZING piece by Cameron Crowe from many, many moons ago - right back before the self-titled Pearl Jam album came out. It's a really good, lengthy piece on the band. It actually kinda reminds me of the line from Almost Famous...

"It's a think piece about a mid-level band struggling with their own limitations in the harsh face of stardom."

Hrmm.

Anyways... the point of all this is that in the middle of that article from 1993, I stumbled upon this revelation...

"Alive" set the tone for everything that would follow. The first song on Ten was also the first song to bring attention to the band. It was clearly Vedder's creative breakthrough, and the band's initial video celebrated a cathartic live performance of the song. In an early Los Angeles Times review, writer Chris William had even compared the song to the Who's "My Generation." Today, "Alive" is a Gen X rallying cry, but tonight, sitting in the Nightlite, Vedder reveals the true meaning of the song.

"Everybody writes about it like it's a life-affirmation thing — I'm really glad about that,' he says with a rueful laugh. "It's a great interpretation. But 'Alive' is ... it's torture. Which is why it's fucked up for me. Why I should probably learn how to sing another way. It would be easier. It's...it's too much."

Vedder continues: "The story of the song is that a mother is with a father, and the father dies. It's an intense thing because the son looks just like the father. The son grows up to be the father, the person that she lost. His father's dead, and now this confusion, his mother, his love, how does he love her, how does she love him? In fact, the mother, even though she marries somebody else, there's no one she's ever loved more than the father. You know how it is, first loves and stuff. And the guy dies. How could you ever get him back? But the son. He looks exactly like him. It's uncanny. So she wants him. The son is oblivious to it all. He doesn't know. what the fuck is going on. He's still dealing, he's still growing up. He's still dealing with love, he's still dealing with the death of his father. All he knows is 'I'm still alive' — those three words, that's totally out of burden."

Elvis' "Suspicious Minds" blasts on the jukebox as Vedder continues. "Now the second verse is 'Oh, she walks slowly into a young man's room...I can remember to this very day...the look...the look.' And I don't say anything else. And because I'm saying, 'The look, the look,' everyone thinks it goes with 'on her face.' It's not on her face. The look is between her legs. Where do you go with that? That's where you came from.

But 'I'm still alive. 'I'm the lover that's still alive. And the whole conversation about 'You're still alive, she said.' And his doubts: 'Do I deserve to be? Is that the question?' Because he's fucked up forever! So now he doesn't know how to deal with it, so what does he do, he goes out killing people — that was [the song] 'Once.' He becomes a serial killer. And 'Footsteps,' the final song of the trilogy [it was released as a U.K. B side to 'Jeremy'], that's when he gets executed. That's what happens. The Green River killer...and in San Diego, there was another prostitute killer down there. Somehow I related to that. I think that happens more than we know. It's a modern way of dealing with a bad life."

Then he smiles as he says, "I'm just glad I became a songwriter."


Wait. What?

Alive, Once, &Footsteps were a trilogy of the same story? How the fuck did I never know that before?

That revelation stunned me so much, I knew I had no choice but to make a post about it.

And yes, I brought the music.

Enjoy!


SeeqPod - Playable Search

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please sign your comments so I can know who to make voodoo dolls of!