2009-08-11

We're Talkin' Baseball

So, it's been a couple of days. I decided that I wasn't doing anyone [least of all myself] any favors by forcing myself to post every day when I felt like I didn't have any desire to write anything. The YouTube clips are fun but after a while, I'm sure they get annoying to everyone - even to me.

I saw this article today at work and thought it'd make an interesting post. A writer at Fox Sports decided to pick 10 ways that the 2009 baseball season could get even better before it ends. A couple of these hit home so here are my thoughts on their thoughts...

A Triple Crown For Albert Pujols
My immediate reaction was, "Holy shit - is he really that close to make that a discussion point?" Apparently, he has a shot... not a great shot... but a shot. He leads the NL in homers and RBIs and is fourth in batting average trailing the leader by 17 points. The HR and RBI lead is superslight so it'd be incredibly tough for him to win the Crown. It'll be a hell of a time if he's even close to it in September though.

A Dodgers/Yankees World Series
Awwww shit! As much as Southern California is all a-giddy at the thought of a Dodgers/Angels World Series, who wouldn't love to see the crosscountry Series just a little bit more? Well, the Angels fans, of course, but since when did their opinions count? Give me any reason for talk about Mr. October and the Bobby Welch strikeout and all those other cool Dodgers/Yankees stories.

Wild Wild Card Finishes
It's interesting because I was one of the people completely irate when the baseball divisions got split into three and the Wild Card was added and while I often think I was completely right, especially when divisional races turn out pointless because of the Wild Card, I have to admit that it's provided some damn fun races for that playoff spot in the past.

300 Strikeouts For Tim Lincecum
Agggh. I REFUSE to root for any Giant setting any kind of record but god damn, it's a cool one for him to snag. If he hits that mark, he'll be the first pitcher to do so since 2001. He'll also be the youngest pitcher to do it since Vida Blue [the first person I ever heard of it with my name] back in 1971. In fact, he'd be the youngest NL pitcher since 1900 to pull it off. Good grief. But he's a Giant so fuck that noise.

A Dodgers/Giants NLCS
God damn that would be fun. But I really have no desire to meet a rotation in the playoffs that contains Randy Johnson, Tim Lincecum, and Matt Cain. Nope. No desire. Not at all. And yeah, that may make me a coward but I'm a smart coward, damn it. Keep the Giants out of my way and things will be just fine.

Another 200 Hits For Ichiro
Wow. I didn't realize that he was one more 200 hit season from the record. Can you imagine what this guy would have managed if his entire career was spent here instead of just part of it? The funny thing is that Ichiro's continued awesomeness is the reason that every single Japanese player that gets posted gets snatched up lightning quick. Signing a Japanese player is like a box of chocolates - you just never know what the hell you might get.

A Cubs/Cardinals Photo Finish
Eh, I guess that's cool. I don't know that I really care. I've always had a soft spot for the Cubbies but it's not like I'm going to root for them unless the Dodgers don't get there so it's really a wash to me. The teams only have 3 games left against each other [who wrote that horrid schedule?] so it won't be much of a fun race, in my opinion.

The Tigers Go All The Way
Um, fuck no. Okay, fine... I rooted for New York to win the World Series after 9/11 but I'll be damned if I'm rooting for the Tigers no matter how bad of shape the auto industry is in!

A Pedro Renaissance
Um, FUCK no. I am not cheering for this - especially after being slapped around by Philly in the NLCS last year.

The Pirates Finish On A Hot Streak
Really? The Pirates managing NOT to break the record for most consecutive losing seasons (17 seasons?! My god! I'd stab my eyes out if I had to watch this team) is going to make MLB 2009 a better season? I'm not sure about that. Now if they could set that record and then become scorching hot in 2010 to shock everyone by winning their division - THAT I could get behind. The ultimate in worst to first.

Not a bad list, huh? I could dig seeing a few of those go down. It's been such a fun season to watch...

...and I STILL haven't been to a game. FUUUUUUUUCK!

1 comments:

ljg said...

But what about the Dodgers & the Rockies in the NLCS? That could be interesting wouldn't it?

BTW: I'm going to the game on Monday night against the Cards - my field seats are in the vicinity near Andre Ethier. Sweet!!!

Post a Comment

Please sign your comments so I can know who to make voodoo dolls of!