2008-03-13

Let Donna Martin Graduate!


In one of the most bizarre stories I've seen in a while, rumors abound that the CW has approached Rob Thomas [of the uber-brilliant and sadly unappreciated Veronica Mars fame] about writing a remake of Beverly Hills 90210 for launch this fall.

I'm not entirely sure how I feel about that.

I was an off-and-on fan of 90210 the first time around. It wasn't something that I adored but there were times when I didn't think it was the worst way to kill an hour either. And granted, when it hit syndication, I probably saw a very large chunk of the episodes.

I was an adorer of Veronica Mars... even the much-maligned third season... and was crushed when it was canceled only to be excited by the idea of Veronica FBI... and then crushed again when they didn't pick that up. The CW used and abused my emotions on Veronica Mars and I will forever resent them for it. But the idea of Rob Thomas writing for television again... well, let's just say there are few better ways to get me stoked about a TV show.

The other thing that throws the monkey in the wrench for me for this one is Gossip Girl. The article actually claims that 90210 would be a good partner for Gossip Girl... basically filling the other part of a night nicely. While I agree they'll probably hit the same demo, I'd be concerned that they would be too similar. I mean, GG covers elitist rich as shit teens trying to cope in NYC. 90210 covers elitist rich as shit teens trying to cope in Beverly Hills. Is there really enough of a difference between NYC and BH to warrant two shows with the same premise?

The intriguing piece? They reference the possibility that some cast members from the original might return. I can't really recall how the show ended so I don't know who or what would work for that but it might make the show a definite DVR add for curiosity.

Whatchu think, peeps?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please sign your comments so I can know who to make voodoo dolls of!