2008-03-14

Top Five Friday

This came to me sometime this week when I was thinking about attempting to put together a concert chronology of my life - a document cataloging the MANY concerts I've been to in my 31 years. I started to ponder what bands that I want to see that I never have. And it had to be bands still possible to see. Like, I couldn't pick Nirvana or something.

And so, I present...

Top Five Bands/Artists I Still Want To See In Concert

SURPRISE! Because I'm having some fun with this one, I present a special SUPER-SIZED edition of this list. You get a Top 10, baby!

10. Rod Stewart

This one is a "problem" pick for me. It almost falls into the category of concerts that aren't possible to see anymore. You see, I want to see Rod Stewart rocking all his stuff from the 70s and 80s... not the standards that he's singing now to put food on his table. You can blame my Aunts for this one as I grew up listening to Stewart, Springsteen, Manilow, and Petty among others. Ultimately, Springsteen became one of my favorite [if not my favorite] artists but I still have a soft spot for Rod Stewart and the others.

9. Madonna

We actually had tickets to see Madonna in concert several years ago but as we got close to the night of the show, I checked some setlists to see what she was performing. To my horror, she was only singing songs off her new album [which I think was the Ray of Light tour... could be wrong.] I don't get these older performers. I understand the desire to create and perform new music but seriously, you MUST understand that people come to your concerts to see their old favs. So, we sold the tix for a nice profit and skipped the show. Someday she'll come through with a greatest hits album or something and I'll be there, baby!

8.Styx

This is another one that borders on the "can't really happen anymore." Some of you are confused by that as Styx pretty much plays in your area several times a year. Yes, that's true. Unfortunately though, Dennis DeYoung... the original Styx vocalist does not tour with them. From what I understand, guitarist Tommy Shaw does all the vocals himself. While it'd still be cool to hear Styx rock the joint, it will not be the same without Dennis' mile high melodic voice on the ballads especially. I still want to check them out someday though as they're one of my favorite rock bands.

7. AC/DC

One of the greatest rock bands of all time. It's not quite the same with Brian Johnson on vocals rather than Bon Scott but it'd do for me. One of the first CDs I ever owned was AC/DC Live and I still remember being in awe of how much they rocked. At some point, I sold that CD as a dumb youth and only recently bought a new copy of it. The album has the same kind of magic as the INXS Live album had that made you think being at that concert would have been one of the coolest nights of your life.

6. Led Zeppelin

I know, right? How could this not make the Top 5, especially since it just recently became possible again? Well, don't get me wrong, I really like Led Zeppelin.. but they've just never been one of my favorites. I can't explain it really but they just never have resonated that much with me. But I do realize how historically epic they are and for that reason alone, I'd go to see them. It's similar to The Who or Pink Floyd that also missed the list. Not one of my favs but I'd go see them if given the opportunity.

5. Bon Jovi

Next to Styx, this is probably the silliest band to still be on my list. It seems like Bon Jovi is playing locally every year to year and a half. Hell, they're going to be playing in Anaheim here very shortly in fact. But the timing always seems off. This year? No funds. Another year? Was elsewhere. The stars just don't align for Mr. Bon Jovi and myself to be in the same building. Some day though... some day.

4. The Rolling Stones

You know, I've always had a slight desire to see the Stones. I remember when Metallica opened for them and when Pearl Jam another time. Both times I thought that was my chance to see them since I loved their opening act. It was a "worst case scenario" kind of thing. I figured even if the Stones didn't rock, the opener would. But the thing is, I'm fairly sure the Stones would rock. And now that this new doc is coming out directed by Scorcese of one of their concerts, I'm fairly sure that I'm about to move this up to #1 on the list.

3. The Eagles

The Eagles have always been one of my favorite bands. Their blend of country-rock always kinda worked for me for some reason. It's another one of those bands I grew up listening to so their songs have always been part of my life. I have a little bit of fear of seeing these guys now because they all seem to really dislike one another so much, I'm afraid the show would seem like musicians going through the motions rather than a band actually feeling their performance. I'd be willing to take the risk though.

2. Prince

Really? Do I have to explain? It's motherfuckin' Prince, yo.

1. Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers

Ahhh... yet another band that is playing locally this year. I really hope I get to make this show because after seeing a doc on the band earlier this year, I seriously wonder how many more chances I will get. I love the band... always have [and yes, I said that in the William Wallace accent.] What more can I say?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please sign your comments so I can know who to make voodoo dolls of!