2008-04-04

Top Five Friday

Ok, ok... time is ticking.

By suggestion...

Top Five NBA MVP Candidates!

5. Tim Duncan
How do you not have Tim Duncan listed on any listing of MVP candidates? You can list your Dwight Howards for taking Orlando to the division title or your Tracy McGradys for that incredible winning streak or your Steve Nashs for keeping Phoenix near the top again but in the end, it's still Tim Duncan... the Spurs are still one of the best teams in the league... and he's still one of the best players in the game. He automatically makes this list for me easily.

4. Lebron James
Honestly, I'm not all that impressed with Cleveland. They made the playoffs, sure, but they're squeaking in as a four seed in an absolutely abysmal Eastern Conference. You can't deny that he's a great player and that Cleveland would be horrific without him but... come on, they're not _that_ good to bestow the MVP on him.

3. Kevin Garnett
You gotta give someone credit for the Celtics being so great this year and I guess KG is a better choice than Ray Allen, right? It's hard to really gush all over him though considering he did join Allen and Paul Pierce. Put those three on any team and I gotta think they're very competitive. I don't think KG's done enough individually to lift that team up to be worthy of the MVP nor is he the best player in the game.

2. Chris Paul
Where you run into an issue here is when you determine what makes an MVP to you. Is it the best player in the game or is it the player that if you took him off his team, his team is a low lottery team? Chris Paul has done an absolutely incredible job with the Hornets and if they managed to finish the season in the top spot of the Conference, I would have absolutely no issues with him as the MVP. I can't really make an argument against him other than he's not the best player in the game.

1. Kobe Bryant
Now, _he_ is the best player in the game. You can argue that he lifted the Lakers into the top spot in the West [with the help of a rapidly developing Andrew Bynum]. Those two things together should be enough to win the MVP for him unless the Lakers bottom out before the season's end. Kobe and Chris Paul are #1/2 in my mind and are almost interchangeable. It's hard to pick one over the other... extremely hard but with my heart wearing purple and gold, I'm picking Kobe as the MVP.

1 comments:

30571 Lorna G said...

I know this has nothing to do with "Top Five Friday", but I just got home from an Angels/Rangers game (Angels won 2-1) and wanted to share that I was reminising the good times at the Dodger 2005 home opener everytime Milton Bradley came up to bat for Tex. Good times!

Post a Comment

Please sign your comments so I can know who to make voodoo dolls of!