2008-06-09

The Joys Of TV On DVD

Now, I'm not one of those psychopaths who declare they're not going to watch a series on television until it's on DVD - I am far too sensitive to spoilers to pull that shit off. I'd be paranoid that someone would spoil Season 4 - Episode 16 at any moment and my heart just can't take that shit.

I'm also not one of those people who have grown so frustrated with becoming loyal to a new show and seeing it jerked out from under them that they've decided to not watch any new show until it survives a season and is out on DVD - but I understand that theory a bit more. I'm still disappointed that shows like Journeyman and Wonderfalls got the shaft by their respective bonehead networks.

However, I must say that the arrival of entire seasons of TV episodes on DVD is one of the great progresses made in recent years. I still fondly recall watching Season One of 24 on DVD after getting it for Christmas - and it was just a matter of weeks before we'd burned through every season of 24 out on DVD. A beautiful thing.

Tonight, we finished Season Two of Entourage. Couple that with the recent completion of Season One of Battlestar Galactica and the end of the TV season has barely registered on our radars so far. Season Two of Galactica is probably next as it ended with such a nutty cliffhanger, we're dying to see what happens next.

It's actually kinda interesting to see two very different approaches to storytelling and season structure. Whereas Galactica goes for the big cliffhanger to end Season One, drawing you back in for a second season - Entourage was happy to just light up the screen with relatable characters, witty-as-shit dialogue, and just enough intrigue in the overal story arc to draw you in from episode to episode. However, when the season finale arose, they didn't go for the cliffhanger, opting instead to tie things up nice and neat as both seasons came to a close.

Not saying one method is better than another - just different. Good shit though. I'm digging both shows so far and am eager to see what happens next on both.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please sign your comments so I can know who to make voodoo dolls of!