2008-06-13

Top Five Friday: The "Well, That Sucked" Edition



Well, that sucked.

What else can I say? Maybe I shouldn't have worn the Madsen jersey. But I'm really no that superstitious.

So, uhh... yeah, I don't want to talk about it really. 3-1 is tough but I'll hold out hope. I still believe, dammit. It's hard - but I still believe.

Even though I really don't want to talk about it - well, if I'm gonna plead that I still believe, I have to, right? And here we go...

The Top Five Reasons I Still Believe

5. The Bench
It's been a tough series for the Laker bench. They came into the Finals on top of the world, getting love from all the sportswriters. But they've struggled to get on track during this series - falling off at key times. But I still believe the Lakers' bench is better than the Celtics bench and I believe before this series is over, they're going to come together and prove it.

4. Derek Fisher
Fish was the glue that held the team together all season long. The stabilizing force that kept the kids going in the right direction and kept Kobe from losing his focus to play the offense the way they wanted it played. But Fish has yet to have a standout game in this series as well. I expect that to change before it's over as well.

3. Pau Gasol
I know, I know. Pau has proven himself to be as soft as a fluffy pillow in this series so far. But did the guy really go all those years without getting out of the first round to come so close to winning it all and fall short. I gotta think a big game is still in his body. Something approaching 30/15. It's gotta happen.

2. Phil Jackson
The greatest coach in the history of the game has had two chances to break the record for most championships. You're trying to tell me he'll be denied twice? He's the ultimate motivator - no rah rah speeches like Doc Rivers - but knowing the right buttons to push to make things happen. 0 for 2 in chances to break Red's record? I don't think so.

And the Number One reason...

1. Kobe Bryant
It's easy to say that no team has ever come back from a 3-1 deficit to win the NBA Finals - but none of those teams had Kobe Bryant. It's just something about the man - I refuse to believe he'll go down without the fight of his life. He's the best player in the game who just got embarrassed in Game 4. I don't think he's going out like that. If the Celtics want the title, they may have to kill Kobe to get it.

The experts say it can't be done. No team has ever come back from a 3-1 deficit to win the Finals.

Again, I say...

Ain't no thang, bitches.

The Lakers have had a team come back from a 3-1 on them in the playoffs before. They know what it takes to do it. And the experts will say that was totally different because the Suns had two home games to win three while the Lakers only have one left.

Again, I say...

Ain't no thang, bitches.

Is it gonna be tough to win three in a row, two on the road? Hell yes it will.

But you gotta believe, baby. You gotta believe.

A three-game winning streak at any other time of the season would be treated like nothing. In the Finals, it becomes historic.

One game at a time. One win at a time.

It still only takes three wins.

Three more wins.

You gotta believe.

1 comments:

mark said...

they just looked so soft and confused when the celtics changed up tactics. That is my concern. It just looked like the Celtics want it more. And another thing- Phil Jackson is looking outcoached by Doc Rivers. I know its blaspheme, but Phil Jackson had missed on matchups.

But it aint over till the fat lady sings...

Post a Comment

Please sign your comments so I can know who to make voodoo dolls of!