2008-07-24

Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap

This may be well-known news to everyone else but I just discovered it and it made me feel pretty sick.

Apparently, AC/DC is releasing a new studio album in the fall. Hoo rah, right?

Wrong.

Said album is going to be released exclusively through Wal-Mart stores.

Wal-Mart.

The evil Satan of corporate retail itself. The store that makes me feel dirty when I walk into it. The store that ran out countless mom and pop stores nationwide to homogenize retail in every suburban shopping center. You know all that jazz that people say when they demonize Wal-Mart - insert that shit right here.

But seriously, Wal-Mart?

How does a band widely considered a pioneer in hard rock and heavy metal end up being owned like that?

How does a band who had their first lead singer drop dead after a night of heavy alcohol drinking end up in the stores that censor every album that comes onto their shelves?

Now THIS is the definitive example of a band selling out - and I absolutely abhor that term but I can't think of any better description of this story.

Shed a tear today, loyal readers, because rock and roll just died a little bit.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please sign your comments so I can know who to make voodoo dolls of!