2008-09-21

The Creative Process: Work Begins Anew

I have tomorrow off so I'm tentatively scheduled [in my mind] to start writing my second screenplay during the day. That is, I'm scheduled to start the actual "putting pen to paper" (or fingers to keyboard) tomorrow.

If you've been following my creative process, you know that I'm a bit torn on which of the two story ideas to work on first. You also know that the story that was a little less developed - okay, a lot less developed - was the one that had the religious overtones I expressed some concern about. I got some very helpful advice on that subject from a couple of you - much thanks for that. However, as of this writing, I don't actually know what script I intend to start tomorrow.

In an interesting twist, I stumbled upon an older idea for a novel I had a while back this morning while on the way to work and am thinking of starting that up at the same time. It's a burst of creative inspiration that is sometimes hard to come by so I almost think it's necessary to attempt to harness it in while it's out there.

I met another aspiring screenwriter at work today. It was interesting to take a few minutes and trade stories about the writing process - this guy actually spent a lot of time in Tijuana doing "research" for his screenplay. Interesting stuff. He also happens to be a professor at UCLA and pointed me in their direction for what he says are some pretty decent screenwriting classes. I don't know how I feel about things like classes and seminars for screenwriting. I almost think that writing should be somewhat of an intuitive, natural process and that a screenwriting class might stomp all over that process. I'll check out what they have to offer though - see if it changes my mind.

On a somewhat related note, a friend of mine asked me recently if it's too late for him to chase after his dreams and not sit in an office all day. He was dead serious and really seemed resigned to the fact that he just might sit in a cubicle every day for the rest of his life.

He's 25 years old.

Welcome to modern day America, my friends. The land of hopes and dreams that somehow manages to drill those hopes and dreams right out of most people while they're still in their twenties.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yo Blue,
What's Happening Big Dog? Hey, I thought you were a baseball and wrestling fan? What? No comment on Yankee stadium closing? No comment on Mick Foley in TNA? Plus the Ultimate Fighter is back and no comment on that? Wow!!! I used to look up to you. You let me down my friend. Lets get back to basics and keep the game plan going when you first started as a young blogger pup. Later Poff Daddy

Post a Comment

Please sign your comments so I can know who to make voodoo dolls of!