2008-11-25

Dodger Day

I noticed a surplus of Dodgers news today so I thought it was worth checking out...

It started this morning with Ken Rosenthal's report on Fox Sports' website.

-- He spends some time discussing how Trevor Hoffman to the Dodgers would make sense - an idea I've been on board with since the negotiations with the Padres' broke down. With Saito old and injured and Broxton not quite there yet, I'd be perfectly happy with Hoffman taking closing duties for a year. Plus, he knows the NL West very well. I have no problem with this idea if the price is right.

-- Some chatter about the Sox trading Mike Lowell if they're able to land Tex. Rosenthal speculates that the Dodgers might be in on that. I can't see that one. Too much money for too little potential good.

-- The Times reports the Dodgers are in a bit of a holding pattern with no recent talks for Manny and no "movement" on Sabathia. I'd expect both of those situations to change in the next couple of weeks.

-- With each day, it looks less and less like the Dodgers will be players for Furcal. The 4 year deal is scaring them off and I can't really blame them for that. It's a ridiculous deal to put in place for someone who basically just missed an entire season due to injury. Would Dodger fans be happy with Hu at SS to see what happens? This one would. A dollar saved on Furcal is a dollar to spend on Manny or CC.

-- Speaking of Hu, apparently he [and others] were the asking price for Jack Wilson from the Pirates. This shows me that they're preparing for life without Rafael Furcal. It's a shame but... well, that's the baseball world we live in.

-- Finally, apparently Andy Pettite has reached out to Joe Torre to discuss the possibility of coming to LA to pitch next season. With Kuroda and Kershaw the only healthy members of the Dodgers' rotation at the moment, I'm very open to this idea as well.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please sign your comments so I can know who to make voodoo dolls of!