2006-01-23

81

Wow.

I made the conscious decision this weekend to try and post on here a little more often. Last week really sucked so I was really bad in posting. But let's try and do something bright and sunshiny this week. And then I pondered... what to post about today.

And then?

81.

Yes... 81.

If you're not sure what the hell I'm talking about, you're obviously not an NBA fan. On a day filled with football that was filled with lopsided scores and boring "action" that I suffered through, I had almost forgotten that the Lakers were even playing last night. By halftime, I was wishing I had forgotten as the Lakers were hurting badly. I think they were down by 18 at the half. I changed the channel during halftime with the intent of not going back.

Some time in the third quarter, I saw the box score on Yahoo. "Wow. Kobe's got 47 points? Maybe I want to see the rest."

81.

I sat there stunned throughout the rest of the third... then elated throughout the fourth as he broke record after record.

His own personal career best? Gone.

Michael Jordan's alltime high in a game? Passed.

The Laker franchise alltime record? Shattered.

He continued to climb the list of the highest scoring games in NBA history, passing names like West... like Robinson... like Baylor... like Chamberlain.

Yes, he even passed Wilt.

Well... for second place anyways.

Wilt Chamberlain holds the alltime record for points in a game with 100. It's a record that most likely will never be broken... at least, not in our lifetimes.

But you know what? I heard the same thing when Orel Hershiser was throwing scoreless inning after inning in 1988. "It's a record that'll never be broken. No one can go that long without giving up a run."

59 consecutive scoreless innings were thrown that year. It broke a record that baseball fans believed would stand forever.

I've seen the "unbreakable record" broken.

81, people. 55 points in a half.

Is it possible?

If there's anything that the greatest player currently in the game has shown us...

When Kobe Bryant is on the floor, anything is possible.

Song I'm Listening To Currently: "Superman Theme" by John Williams
Book I'm Reading Currently: "Eragon" by Christopher Paolini [I'll start telling you page numbers soon. Don't have the book with me.]
Movie I Last Saw: The Chronicles of Narnia

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please sign your comments so I can know who to make voodoo dolls of!