2006-01-28

Play That Funky Music, White Boy

Well, now that I can spend the rest of my weekend basking in the knowledge that I'm entertaining the hostile and intolerant... let's go back to my January Mixtape and talk about what was on it.

Track One: Crown Of Love - The Arcade Fire
I can't even remember where I stumbled across this song. I've been a little mixed on some of the bands that are making it big as of late.. and I'm not entirely sold on the entire "Funeral" album either, but this track is one of my favorites that I've heard lately. In the 13 days it's been on my iTunes, it's played 16 times so far... so yeah, obviously I dig it a lot. Give it a shot and once you get past the off-kilter nature of the song, I think you'll like it.

Track Two: Racing In The Street - Bruce Springsteen
Ok... if you know me, you know I love the Boss. And when I talk to people who don't love Springsteen, it kills me a little bit inside. So, as part of this project, you can guarandamntee that every one of these Mixtapes will have my Springsteen Song Of the Month in an attempt to educate the masses to his greatness. This is one you probably don't know. I don't think I've ever heard it on the radio but it's a definitely highspot in the Springsteen catalog.

Track Three: Return - The Cure
This is a fond memory song for me. When B and I first got together, we listened to The Cure's "Wild Mood Swings" a lot [among a handful of other albums> when we were hanging out. This is one of my favorite tracks off that album. It's not quite so mopey as a lot of Cure songs and actually has some clever lyrics. "I really love the way you wear your hair and nothing more."

Track Four: Cannonball - Damien Rice
I don't have a lot to say about this one actually. Lately, I've found myself drawn to songs that are simpler. Just a few instruments and a voice. That's this song in essence. When a vocalist has a strong enough voice to let that carry his music, I'm impressed. You don't always have to have fancy studio tricks to make good music.

Track Five: Precious - Depeche Mode
Depeche Mode has always had ups and downs in my listening tastes. It started in the early 90's with Casey Kasem.

...

Yes, Casey F'n Kasem. You see... at the time, my friend, Brian, had discovered Depeche Mode in the form of the "Violator" album and was really pushing it on me. He loved "Enjoy The Silence" and played it all the damn time. One day, we were watching Casey Kasem's America's Top 10 show on TV [or was it 20?] and saw "Enjoy The Silence" at the number two spot... being held off by The Scorpions and "Wind of Change". Oh, the argument we had between those songs. I just couldn't stand Depeche Mode back then.

With time, as I was exposed to more of their catalog, I found myself enjoying them more... hell, I even like "Enjoy the Silence" now. So, with all that in mind... I like this song, bitches.


Track Six: Telescope Eyes - Eisley
How can you not like Eisley? First and foremost... they're named after the Mos Eisley Spaceport in Star Wars! Come on, people! You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy!

Anyways... the lead singer of Eisley's got a great voice and the band makes some damn fine songs. This is just one of them. Go check out Eisley. And while looking at their website just now, I just discovered they're a Christian band.

Suddenly, I feel dirty... but the band's good anyways! Go check 'em out!


Track Seven: Tears Of A Clown - The English Beat
Those of you that know me know that I have a strong love for weird cover songs. If there's a bizarre cover song out there, odds are that I'd love it. Punk bands covering 80's songs? Love it. Country bands covering rap hits? Gotta have it. I love me some weird covers. And this is one of those. While it doesn't capture the greatness of the original, it's just cool enough that I had to put it on here. You'll probably see an odd cover on each of these Mixtapes too.

Track Eight: Hackensack - Fountains Of Wayne
Forget "Stacy's Mom." If that's all the FoW that you know, you just don't know FoW. They are one of the most underrated bands that I've stumbled across in the past year or so. I've yet to come across one of their tracks that I didn't instantly enjoy and they're responsible for some of my favorite songs lately. Plus, you can't go wrong with songs that mention Christopher Walken, right?

Track Nine: Sgt. Major - Jet
Jet intrigues me. They have the bad rap of being ripoffs... but each of their songs seems to be so different than the other. One second they sound like AC/DC... the next, they sounds like some cross between The Beatles and Oasis... the next? Something completely different. This is one of those in the vein of Oasis and The Beatles. I believe it's a non-album track from them but it's very well done and easily could be a single for them. They also happen to be a very good live act as I caught them opening for Oasis in 2005.

Track Ten: Mi Mancherai - Josh Groban
Okay, so I know this looks to be an odd fit on this list but... well, here's the story. Anyone seen the trailer for the new M. Night Shamyalalayan movie? No? Go download it. The movie may very well be the worst thing ever... we'll know soon enough, I guess. But the trailer? It may be the most magical trailer for a movie I wasn't eagerly anticipating that I've ever seen. From the teaser trailer alone, I want to see this movie. And what more? I don't even want to see another trailer for it because I'm afraid it'll spoil the magic. Magic. This song... is magic.

Track Eleven: Drinking For 11 - Mad Caddies
I was on the prowl for ska for this disc. I love ska music... I really do. It's something else that throws me back to my college days when it was the bulk of what I listened to. All those live shows with Reel Big Fish... the Aquabats... Save Ferris... Buck O Nine... so, so, so many more. Even No Doubt before Gwen got to hang out with Dr. Dre. This isn't really the kind of ska music that I would have loved back then... but now? If it's got horns, I'm happy.

Track Twelve: Little By Little - Oasis
This song got stuck in my head. That's why it's here. Period.

Track Thirteen: Teenage Love Song - Rilo Kiley
This song intentionally has an old school vibe to it with some lyrics that definitely wouldn't match the time period. Throw that unique sound with the woman who sounds like she'd be hot and you've got a winner. "Portions For Foxes" was one of my favorite songs of '05 and I'm looking forward to finding more Rilo Kiley songs this year to be impressed by.

Track Fourteen: Gigolos Get Lonely Too - The Time
THE GREATEST BAND IN THE WORLD, MORRIS DAY AND THE MUTHAFUCKIN' TIME! Now... if this doesn't sound like a Prince song, I don't know what does. I love Prince and this sounded so much like him, I was damn happy to have it on here... despite it not really fitting with the rest of the tracks. Besides, how you go wrong with Jay And Silent Bob's favorite band.

Track Fifteen: Perfect Situation - Weezer
I have to admit that it was the video that first got me into this song. Elisha Cuthbert as the prima donna singer who gets replaced in the band? Sold! But then I listened to the song a few times and realized it was one of those classic Weezer songs that you just can't get out of your head. I've been listening to Weezer for over ten years now and have gotta say this is one of their better efforts. Now, if we could only wipe "Hash Pipe" and "Beverly Hills" out of our brainstems.

Track Sixteen: You've Got Her In Your Pocket - The White Stripes
The White Stripes are usually at their most successful when they're loud and boisterous so it's damn cool to hear them stripped down to something acoustic. It's actually quite the nice song too. White Stripes can usually be hit and miss to me. A lot of good tracks but a lot of stuff that just seems like filler to me. This one I recently stumbled upon and yes, it's one of the good ones.

Track Seventeen: Defying Gravity - Wicked Soundtrack
Wow, if you thought I was gay for talking about Harry Potter and Veronica Mars, I can just imagine what showtunes must do to your closed-off brainpan. But before the entire world, I shall TESSSSTIIIFYYYY! I love showtunes. I'm enthralled by the ability to tell a full story just through song. Usually, I only enjoy showtunes from musicals I've seen with a couple of exceptions. This is one of those exceptions.

And there you have it, peeps. My January Mixtape in a nutshell.

And in just mere days, you'll have the February gift of music that keeps on giving.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend. Be back on Monday with... well, probably Rumble thoughts... but we'll see.

Peace.

1 comments:

mark said...

b-b-b-b-blue - you have to have a top five each week. And I think Kasey Kasem was top 10 on the TV.

here is my top five of this week:
1. Wake Up - Arcade Fire:
especially the end...whata switch in tempo and sound.

2. When They Realy Get to Know You They Will Run - Pedro the Lion

3. Be My Escape - Reliant K

4. The Second Summer - Memphis

5. Heart In A Cage - The Strokes - I just love the intensity and melody in this album- the trend dogs are scurrying away from them, but i always like bands after they get big and "falter" on the next album. And who knew the bass player can rock like this? The album will be in my target shopping cart tonight.

I love lists - and Thanks for the Eisley rave. Yup- there are good christian bands (eg. reliant k, Pedro the Lion (more liberal christian- yup- chew on that one for awhile))

...all on iTunes if you want to preview/buy.

Ok- i'll relegate my next top five to my blog...

37 degrees in Quincy. I'm Kasey Kasem.

Post a Comment

Please sign your comments so I can know who to make voodoo dolls of!