2008-01-28

Mixtape Of The Month!

Oh yeah, baby!

Due to absolutely no demand at all, the Mixtape Of The Month returns! Longtime readers of this blog remember that I used to do a monthly mixtape with an explanation of why I chose the songs in question.

It's back... and it's back with a vengeance!

Enjoy the mixtape for January.


Are Ya Havin' A Laugh?

The title is inspired by the catchphrase for the main character on Extras' show-within-a-show. Make sense? I don't fucking care.

1. The New Year - Death Cab For Cutie
I couldn't not have Death Cab on here and since it's a New Year... well, duh. I really have no other reason for this song to be on here other than it sounds fucking amazing the two times I've heard it live. You should all be swearing by Death Cab even if you can't stand how often they get played on the radio now. One of the only reasons I'd drag my ass out to Coachella this year.

2. Ole! - Bouncing Souls
This is a great, fun song. I don't see how anyone can listen to this song and not smile instantly. Not your traditional punk/ska stuff but it rocks your socks. It's also the theme song for indy wrestling megastar El Generico.

3. Rooftops - Lost Prophets
I originally bought this song because they played it on the most recent Jeff Hardy highlight video but it's actually a pretty catchy tune. I've been very prone to getting it stuck in my head recently. Give it a listen, I think you'll dig it.

4. World Over - Edna's Goldfish
An acquaintance got me into Edna's Goldfish about eight years ago right in the middle of my punk/ska phase. I really dug the band but at some point several years ago, I deleted most of their mp3s from the computer to save space. I stumbled back upon them recently and rediscovered how awesome they are. Check it out.

5. Care Of Cell 44 - The Zombies
This one comes to us thank to Michael Cera's Celebrity Playlist on iTunes. How can you not like Michael Cera? Have you seen Juno? Have you even watched Arrested Development? It's George Michael Bluth, dammit! Go listen to this because it's fucking great just like Michael Cera.

6. Rich Girls - The Virgins
I think we determined that this song came from this year's TV guilty pleasure, Gossip Girl. I've picked up far worse songs than this from GG though so be happy it's this one. I still find the job of Music Supervisor to be incredible and I wish I could figure out how the hell you get that job because I think I'd rock at that.

7. A Bitchslap - Sebastian Bach
Thanks to the wonders of iTunes, I recently discovered that Sebastian Bach actually has a new album out. Coincidentally, I was at a Guns And Roses show with Skid Row opening in late 2006. When Bach came out to perform with GNR, he mentioned that he thought he had just signed a record deal... and apparently he had. This track actually features Axl on backing vocals which makes it even cooler. Close your eyes and drink a lot... you could imagine this actually as a GNR song.

8. Let's Duet - John C. Reilly & Angela Correa
Anyone who didn't see Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story is missing out. A truly great parody of flicks like Walk The Line and Ray, it succeeds where dreck like Meet The Spartans fails and falls on it's pathetic ass. It was tough to pick which track from the soundtrack I wanted to use so I picked the one that I first heard at Comic-Con last year that made me think this might be a fun flick. Go watch the movie, buy the soundtrack... YOU DON'T WANT NONE OF THIS SHIT, DEWEY!

9. Accidents Can Happen - Sixx A.M.
If you check out the side of the blog, you can see what books I've read this year. The Heroin Diaries by Nikki Sixx was an amazing read and gave tremendous insight into the life of a rock star/drug addict. I found out before I had read the book that Nikki Sixx had created a soundtrack for the book with his new band. This is one track off that soundtrack. It's a shame that the bands of today can't truly rock and we have to resort to seeing what Nikki Sixx and Sebastian Bach are doing these days.

10. I Was Made For You - Rivers Cuomo
Usually discs of B-Sides and demos are pretty soft... there's a reason they are B-Sides and Demos after all. But the new album by Rivers Cuomo of Weezer fame may have permanently changed my tune on this. This song is awesome... the album sounds great from what I've heard... beautiful stuff. Oh, and check out the Eels demo/b-side album too.

11. Believe - The Bravery
I don't know where I got this, I don't know why, I don't even really care for the band that much. But.. uh... I like it. So try it.

12. Silver Lining - Rilo Kiley
One of the other reasons I'd drag my ass out to Coachella. One of the best shows I've ever seen featured Jenny Lewis and the Watson Twins... which is also Rilo Kiley in case you're looking for relevance. I found this song by... well, looking for more songs by Rilo Kiley that I'd like. This one fits that bill. If you're not listening to Jenny Lewis, you're a sad, sad panda.

13. Umbrella - Marie Digby
Longtime readers know my passion for interesting covers. So, when you take a wildly popular pop song... mix it up a bit... and give a different take that makes it sound actually soulful, I'm in like Flynn. Game on, baby!

14. Dreamgirls - Dreamgirls Sdtck
Yeah, yeah, yeah... let your mocking begin. What can I say? I'm a sucker for musicals... both screen and stage. As a lover of music, I'm fascinated by the ability to tell a full two to three hour story solely through song. Amazing. I didn't really care for Dreamgirls the first time I saw it even though I found the music to be catchy. But I've watched it a few times this month on HBO and I've developed a new appreciation for it. I chose the title track for this mixtape just because!

15. Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots, Pt. 1 - The Flaming Lips
I can never decide if I really like the Flaming Lips. There are songs of theirs that I adore and no, it's not "She Don't Use Jelly" but there are songs that I can't stand to hear. Kinda like Sonic Youth. This is one of those I stumbled upon recently while putting this tape together that I just found a certain kind of magic in that I couldn't bear to part with.

16. Birds And Bees - Ben Lee
Oh. My. God. Is there anyone who works harder at being hot as Mandy Moore? Come on, she had that performance in American Dreamz [which kinda sucked but is oddly a movie I can't usually turn off when it's on], she did a stint on Scrubs, and now she's doing duets with Ben Lee? Laaaaaawd have mercy.

17. The Way I Am - Ingrid Michaelson
It was on a commercial before Christmas... I can't remember which one. Catchy little ditty that's almost worked itself out my head so I thought I'd include it before it falls on the "I really don't want to hear this anymore" list.

18. That's How You Know - Amy Adams
From the Enchanted sdtck... yeah, well... fuck you too.

19. Du Og Meg - Of Montreal
Can't remember where I found it or why... but enjoy!

20. This Woman's Work - Kate Bush
Absolutely haunting tune from Kate Bush that made it's way onto the Extras series finale that I just got to watch finally. Was an absolutely amazing scene. The song is depressing as shit but so was the finale. The song still stays strong in my head though.

21. Rise - Eddie Vedder
Or should I say Golden Globe winner Eddie Vedder? This soundtrack smokes all too. I'm on a soundtrack kick lately and I still need to pick up the Sweeney Todd and Juno soundtracks in the near future. You should own the Into The Wild soundtrack... seriously... go buy it... NOW!

22. Now That We're Done - Metro Station
No idea. But it's awesome and a very different song than I usually listen to.

23. Lookin' Out My Back Door - Credence Clearwater Revival
I've been watching Lebowski quite a bit lately and the scene where he almost lights his cock ablaze features this song with him providing rhythm section on the roof of his car. Awesome. It gets stuck in my head everytime I see the scene so there you go.

24. Tea For The Tillerman - Cat Stevens
The end credits song for Extras. I've loved this song since the first time I heard it but just never did anything about it. Finally figured out what it was and picked it up. It seemed fitting to end the first mixtape of the year with the song that wrapped up every episode of Extras.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Been reading the blog for about a week - I have to say, very interesting. Keep up the good work. I do take issue with "Mix Tapes" - they do not exist any longer - I recently used the term to mistakenly describe a "Mix CD" to someone that was about 14 years younger than myself. I was immediately and severely reprimanded and felt compelled to do so here. Other than that - great blog.

Post a Comment

Please sign your comments so I can know who to make voodoo dolls of!