2008-05-29

What's The Frequency, Mr. Stipe?





It somehow seems fitting that for the very first post as an "official" mp3 blog, that I'm covering R.E.M.

While R.E.M. will probably never be at the top of a list of my absolute favorite bands, they've always had a lot of songs that I like - and they oddly became somewhat significant in my life. They would easily be near the top of a list of my wife's favorite bands. Our first unofficial "date" was actually at an R.E.M. show in the fall of '95. A show where the support acts were Luscious Jackson, the Meat Puppets, and the Gin Blossoms.

Man, I feel old.

We even ended up using a R.E.M. song ("Strange Currencies") as the first dance song at our wedding - but don't get the Missus started on that one please!

Tonight, we're going to the R.E.M. show at the Hollywood Bowl - always a fun and unique place to see a concert. They are out in tour of their new album "Accelerate" that I bought last weekend so I wouldn't be totally clueless during the show - yet haven't gotten to listen to yet assuring that I most certainly will be clueless during the show.

The album created a lot of buzz when it was released because it was such a far departure from most of their recent albums. It has eleven songs, checking in at just under 35 minutes with no song breaking the five minute mark. Depending on your tastes, that could be very cool or very sucky. The album is literally a musical sprint - an attempt to break the world record in the 100 meter dash.

Unfortunately, since I haven't listened to it yet, I can't tell you if it ends up breaking the ribbon with time to spare or stumbles at the blocks with shoelaces that are tied together. Time will tell.

I'm looking forward to the show tonight. Support acts on the bill are Modest Mouse and The National, who busted out an awesome Springsteen cover lately which gives me hope for their musical talent level.

So, in honor of the show tonight, a trio of R.E.M. tracks for your listening pleasure:

These are from a Vote For Change performance in St. Paul, MN on 10-5-04. It's an audience recording so your mileage may vary but I dug it. Especially since Bruce joined in on a couple songs at the end - and you know I love me some Springsteen. Many thanks to Captain's Dead for these.

The One I Love - R.E.M. - Live (10-5-04)

Bad Day - R.E.M. w/Bruce Springsteen - Live (10-5-04)


Man On The Moon - R.E.M. w/Bruce Springsteen - Live (10-5-04)

If you like what you hear, please remember to support the artist by buying through R.E.M. I especially recommend the R.E.M./Dashboard Confessional joint performance album - killer stuff on there that you can find at Dashboard Confessional - MTV2 Album Covers: Dashboard Confessional & R.E.M.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please sign your comments so I can know who to make voodoo dolls of!