2008-09-11

More Bridge School Rumors

Since the original Bridge School Benefit rumors post has proven to be so popular, I thought I'd do a followup since the lineup has yet to be announced - a fact that I'm more than a little surprised about really. I thought for sure it would be announced over the past week but nothing yet. The dates have been made official on both the Bridge School site and Pollstar though so I think this isn't the year Neil decides to cancel on all of us.

So... in the Comments section of the last post, some readers have suggested as possibilities:

-- Radiohead or Thom Yorke solo. There was some mention of the last time Radiohead played BSB they did a cover of a Neil song at a show shortly before it and I guess they covered Neil at the Hollywood Bowl a few weeks back. This could be kind of cool. Admittedly, I'm not the hugest Radiohead fan [which shits all over my indie street cred for sure] but seeing them do an acoustic set could be a lot of fun.

-- Patti Smith was mentioned as a possibility today as apparently she has dates in town that week but nothing else on the books for that weekend. The same poster also shot down my Conor Oberst rumor since he has now added dates to that weekend.

Let's look for some other options...

-- Ted Leo
Could be possible for a Sunday set as he's in Portland on Sat but playing SF on Mon.

-- Tegan & Sara
In Los Angeles the week prior - nothing scheduled for BSB weekend

I'm not sure if I mentioned this before but someone on the Coachella board had a list of "rumored" acts. I'm not sure if they really are rumors or a wishlist but...

Rage Against the Machine - I could see it, especially in an election year. And ordinarily, I'd shit on the idea of them playing acoustic but... well, Trent Reznor taught me to never do that. This, of course, lends itself to the other rumor that had been making the rounds of Morello performing solo in his folk project (which sounded a lot more likely to me.)

Pearl Jam - Seems like a good year for them to play but there are rumors to the contrary as well.

Jane's Addiction - That's an interesting one. I'd dig it a lot as I've never seen Jane's live - but I gotta think this is someone's dream pick.

Foo Fighters - Possible since they're playing a few shows.

Nine Inch Nails - Also possible since they're out there right now.

Brian Wilson - See above. Of course, if you get four of the people on this list, it's BSB '06 all over again.

Something that I have absolutely nothing to support but kinda popped into my head today. What about Beck? Also, Tom Petty is just wrapping up a tour this year and would be amazing at BSB.

Anyways... I guess we'll all know in a few days but to kinda wrap up this subject, I'm going to post my dream/logical BSB '08 lineup considering all the "rumored" names we've thrown out there over the past few weeks.

Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers
Pearl Jam
Tom Morello
Tegan & Sara
Radiohead
Wilco
The Kooks
Tina Turner

Of course, in the end, we can all hold out hope that The Boss shows up - solo or with the E Street Band - to rock the joint.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Doesn't seem likely that Nine Inch Nails will be there, since they're supposed to be in New Orleans Saturday night for Voodoo.

Death Cab seems the closest to a lock since they're opening for Neil Young on his tour and are no longer on the schedule for Voodoo.

Petty was great in 2000 at Bridge - probably my best concert experience ever, even in pouring rain.

Anonymous said...

Yo Jigga Blue,
What's up? Hope that opening didn't sound racist? Don't want to come off like Clerks 2 when Randall didn't know is his grandmother was a racist. Well anyways, I was watching Kitchen Nightmares with Gordan Ramsey and guess who walks in to the restaurant? Freakin Mick Foley and Fox didn't say one thing about him. They just kept pushing old Dee Schinedar from Twisted Sister to promote the show. Dude, I love Jane's Addiction the band, but Perry Farrall is shit man. I was listening to Sirus on Wednesday and they had a live Perry Farrell at New York on the Pulse. It was crap! I mean you have had crap bigger than this! (No fun intended). Well thought I would kept you updated in the real world. Later Poff Daddy

Brian Michaels said...

I think your pretty close.

No to Brian Wilson
No to Jane's Addiction (dont you have to actually be a band to play)
No to Tina Turner

Yes to PJ or Eddie Vedder
Yes to Death Cab - Lock
NeiL - Obviously
Tom Petty or Bob Dylan are strong guesses
Radiohead - Very good chance
Tegan and Sara - Good chance
Wilco - Maybe - They play alot so I think not.

Neil rarely uses more than 7 acts so someone will have to be cut from your list of 8. I dont see Tina doing this gig but it would be cool.

Brian Michaels said...

I would add NIN cant happen. They are in New Orleans that week. No to the Foos. They have been there too many times and only PJ gets that honor from Neil.

Unknown said...

It was announced today
sat:
Neil Young, Peggi Young, ZZ Top, Norah Jones, jack Johnson, Death Cab for Cutie, Wilco, Cat Powers
Sun:
Neil Young, Peggi Young, Norah Jones, Jack Johnson, Death Cab for Cutie, Wilco, Cat Powers, smashing Pumpkins, Josh Groban

Post a Comment

Please sign your comments so I can know who to make voodoo dolls of!