2009-02-26

Dodger Spring Training: The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly

Well, so goes the waiting game. Might as well not delay it any longer.

THE GOOD
Jason Schmidt Pitches... FOR REAL!
Now, I wouldn't want to get overly excited yet but the mere fact that he's already on a normal throwing program is good news. He pitched in a game and was okay to throw again in the following couple of days. I'm not about to predict we suddenly might get the Jason Schmidt of old in our rotation but if he's anywhere near that level, he could be absolutely vital. If he's not? Well, there's a shitload of guys who can slot in at the #5 spot.

Orlando Hudson Signs
I have some mixed feelings on this one but I'm not naive to think this is anything but a good thing for the Dodgers. It has pretty much been universally hailed as the best bargain of the winter and it gives the Dodgers yet another threat in the lineup. The bad part of this is Blake Dewitt who seemed certain to have earned a spot on the team after filling in so well for Jeff Kent last year. In the end though, I think this is directly a result of the extended negotiations with You-Know-Who. It's a move with a couple of purposes. It bolsters the lineup to ensure that if "the other guy" is not signed - the lineup won't be complete ass. It also sends a message to Satan Incarnate that we may not need his big client afterall. Maybe we won't even stick around in the negotiations... bitch.

THE BAD
The Starting Pitchers Fail Day One
Let's preface this with the standard "it's still early" but on Day One of Spring Training play, three of the Dodgers' starting rotation candidates took the mound in the forms of Ramon Trancoso, Claudio Vargas, and Eric Milton and collectively got rocked. Trancoso, who you may recall as a reliever last year, made his bid to make the rotation by giving up a grand slam in the 5th inning. Vargas looked shaky in the first inning when he gave up a run on two hits but set the side down in order in the second. Milton gave up three hits over 1 2/3 innings. So, really, it was just Trancoso who got completely smoked but Milton didn't fill me with confidence either. Vargas might have earned a closer look. But... say it with me... it's still early.

THE UGLY
Mr. Ramirez? Stuff It! I'm Over It!
The above was my exact quote when I found out that Manny and his bloodsucking jackal had rejected the latest offer from the Dodgers which basically was a one year deal with an absolute no-win option for a second year. That was a major concession by a team negotiating against itself and still it got nowhere. I'm over it and judging by a poll on the Times website which, as of right now, shows 47 percent of fans wanting the Dodgers to pull the offer and forget about it, I'm not alone in this. I seriously can't believe it's gotten this far and I'm really disappointed by it. I love Manny as a player on the field and won't forget his contribution to last year's team but... I'm over it. I'm completely okay with letting the kids play 2009 and seeing what happens. I was okay with that last year and I'm okay with it this year.

And that's that.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please sign your comments so I can know who to make voodoo dolls of!