2009-02-28

Mixtape Of The Month: Feelin' Gangsta

I rushed in here after watching last night's BSG [another mindfraker] to finish this because as I became aware today - March is almost upon us!

This one's a little bit different than last month for two major reasons...

1]  I made a conscious effort to pick things up a bit after I got called out by the Missus for becoming a softy in my old age last month.  Happy now?
2]  At some point in the month, I decried the state of hip hop music as being really ass-o-riffic thanks to that god damn Dirty South vocal filter that seemingly is on every rap/hip hop track these days.  This declaration sent me to iTunes Music Store to see if I could find some new hip hop to add to my collection that could prove me wrong.  Those songs are well-represented here.

And off we go...

SIDE A
----------
I'm Not Going To Teach Your Boyfriend How To Dance With You - Black Kids
I'm pretty sure that Kate Nash's awesome cover of this song has made a previous Mixtape Of The Month and with this featured on the playlist at work these days, I thought it was only fitting to pay tribute to the original.  This kicks off Side A with a burst of energy and awesomeness.  I defy anyone to listen to this song and not be singing it for days to follow.  This is one of those songs that just makes you happy when you hear it.

Section 22: Running Away - The Polyphonic Spree
Unfortunately, I can't say why I've had this song stuck in my head lately and why I included it this month.  In fact, there's a Non-Disclosure Agreement that would prohibit it!  Suffice to say that I don't care if the Polyphonic Spree is a cult or not because they make some damn fine music.  Another song that just brings a smile to my face all the time when I hear it.

Slow Show - The National
I'm pretty sure the version that'll by housed on MY Mixtape is a live one from some radio station or Internet place but the one I've included for your benefit is the actual studio version.  The National didn't really come to my attention until I saw them open for R.E.M. last year.  At that point, I only knew them as "the band that covered a kinda obscure Bruce song."  But they quickly won me over with biiiiig songs and powerful vocals.  This is one of those songs.  The song [especially in the live version] just seems so huge at times, you'd think the vocals [which are damn subtle] would get lost in the mix but they just power on through to create an amazing piece of music.

Let It Slip - The School
In a similar way to the Pipettes knockin' the hell out of Pull Shapes, The School channels some of those bubble gum pop bands from the 50s to put something out there that very few bands are doing and even fewer are doing well.  The version I included for you guys sounds a little different to my highly-tonedeaf ear... more polished or something... maybe I have a demo or an older less studio version?  No clue but it's still awesome.  Listen to this one and imagine your parents [well, if you're my age anyways] listening to something just like it.

Heavy Metal Drummer - Wilco
Back in October when I reviewed Wilco's set at the Bridge School Benefit, I made the following statement...
They took a person who didn't know many of their songs [me!] and managed to make me entertained by their entire set
So, if we go back to that statement and now reveal that months later, I'm still listening to and enjoying one of the songs they played that day that I had no clue about - well, that just shows how talented of a band that they are.  I still look forward to a chance to see them in a smaller venue someday.

Just Dropped In - Kenny Rogers & The First Edition
Wait a second.  Is this the same Kenny Rogers who rocked the house with The Gambler, Lady, and Islands In The Stream among others?  No fucking way.  I love when I stumble upon artists who went waaaaay outside their wheelhouse and managed to put something awesome together.  Apparently he did this before those other songs but it doesn't make it any less amazing.  Obviously, this is being included because of its' star turn in The Big Lebowski which is on my mind because Lebowski Fest is coming to Los Angeles in May and I'm trying to work myself into getting excited so that I want to go... that make sense?  Oh, the song rocks too.  Listen to it!

First Time High - Of Montreal
Sadly, Seeqpod doesn't have this so you can't hear it but I'd suggest hunting it down to check it out.  Maybe... here!

Turn Me On - Norah Jones
After all that kickass rockishness, it's time for one of our slow jams.  I'm not the kind of guy who likes to paint all these elaborate pictures about what kind of scene a certain song creates in my mind BUT... well, let's just say this song makes me easily envision it being sung by a sulty songstress on a darkened stage in a smoky piano bar... oh yeah, and she's singing that song just for you, buddy!  You know it!  Go get that crazy dame!

I've Been High - R.E.M.
You guys drew the short straw here because there's an AMAZING in-studio version of this that is on one of the KCRW Morning Becomes Eclectic albums.  This is a great live version that you get but that studio version is the equivalent of a musical orgasm.  Yep.  I said it.  I meant it.  I'm here to represent it.  But until you can track that down, you're stuck with this.  And with such a beautiful song, we wrap up Side A with a bang!


SIDE B
----------
Gangsta Gangsta - N.W.A.
For years, I've sat sadly with N.W.A. only being represented on my iTunes by Compton, Police, and Express Yourself.  This month, I decided to remedy that.  This is one of those songs that just shows off how amazing that group was with each member carrying their own shit so strongly, it couldn't help but make the whole group rock the house.  Hopefully none of you are listening to this at work - well, unless you have earphones.

Vato - Snoop Dogg w/B-Real
One of the things I love about the hip hop/rap world that you just don't usually see in other genres is how frequently you see collaborations like this.  Snoop Dogg with B-Real from Cypress Hill?  Seems like a natural match, huh?  This one tells a pretty simply story about some guys fuckin' with gangsta Snoop and how Snoop had to deal with them.  Sounds like every other hip hop song, no?  I love the back and forth between Snoop and B-Real though - that's what makes this one stand out to me.

Crack A Bottle - Eminem, Dre, 50 Cent
No luck on this one either.  It's nowhere to be found on Seeqpod.  I'm going to guess they made 'em pull it down because this song's been all over the place lately.  I'm a big fan of two of the three artists on this one so I had to give it a shot.  No one puts together a hook like Eminem and Dre.  This one will be stuck in your head too.  Guaranteed.

California Vacation - The Game
Remember when everyone was talking about 50 Cent vs The Game?  Well, one listen to the last track and this track will tell you who won that one musically.  Financially?  Who knows.  But musically, The Game is far beyond what 50 Cent is capable of with his gangsta romance rap.  This is one of those songs where you can hear the heritage of West Coast rap in every piece of it.  Having Snoop as a guest star on it doesn't hurt either.

Timecop - Iron Chic
Seeqpod is letting me down tonight but I did manage to find a link for y'all for this one.  This would drop us out of the gangsta rap and kick us back a ways.  This is the kind of song and the kind of band that I would have gone absolutely apeshit for about ten years ago.  Now?  Well, I can reminisce fondly while listening to them.  I'm sure I would have seen them a half dozen times in a year's span - probably all at crazy shows where 15 bands played.  Ahhh - memories.

Green Means Go - The Color Wheels
This knocks us a little further away from the West Coast rap with a really fun poppy punk track.  It's catchy as hell too so you can feel free to blame me tomorrow evening when you're humming "It goes green means go and no means no..."  Fun song.  I enjoyed it immensely when I first stumbled upon it and thought it was instantly worthy of inclusion on this list.

I Really Love You - Dee Dee Sharp
I talked about The School channeling some 50's pop earlier but this one is legit straight off the AM dial from the 60s.  The thing that strikes me the most about this song though is that it feels like it should be included on a Tarantino soundtrack so that a whole new generation can treasure it - just like The Delfonics, Dusty Springfield, Dick Dale, and so many others.  Tell me you can't hear this blasting out of a scene in Jackie Brown.  Sadly, I don't think it'll fit in Inglorious Bastards though.  Anyone else see the trailer for that and just start giggling uncontrollably?  The tagline "You haven't seen war until you've see it through the eyes of Quentin Tarantino" reaffirms my belief in Hollywood... and then someone mentions Mall Cop.  Sigh.

Heartless - Kanye West
Never let it be said that I don't have the ability to mock myself.  Yes, after going on a diatribe above about the Dirty South vocal filter - here it is in all its glory.  And yes, I do think it's a cheap trick for Kanye to go for because I think he's better than that.  His vocals are good enough to stand on their own without some fucking studio magician slapping shit on him to make him sound like a robot.  But, that being said... great song.

End tape!

I'll be back tomorrow [or Monday] to talk about my favorite music from February so it's a jam-packed music weekend here at the B-Spot.

Listen and enjoy...

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Blue! Awesome mix tape...just the right amount of rockin' with none of that melancholy (and infinite sadness, to boot) stuff. That's the Blue I know and love. This mix tape totally kicks ass and I will be definitely listening to it all month! -bbkf

Post a Comment

Please sign your comments so I can know who to make voodoo dolls of!